Why are all these strange things happening

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trustdiva, May 7, 2011.

1. trustdiva macrumors newbie

I know Macs don't get viruses but it seems like something weird is happening.

1.First of all, it freezes a few times a day, forcing me to power down because it goest completely dead.

2. Then, suddenlly we can't have two devices using our Time Capsule at the same time. That's new.

3. Now I see something in system preferences called ZTEUSB Modem- no idea how that got there

4. Something to do with Canon displays a new dialogue screen each time and asks about scanning- something i never do. So where is this screen coming from- and why is it asking this?

5. suddenly getting dialogue boxes about Bluetooth- didn't even know computer had bluetooth. And don't know why or how it has been activated

All these weird happenings leads me to think there is a fundamental problem in the system. I do't know where to begin. Do you think something infected my system/

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

1. Could be bad RAM or a hard drive going bad, nothing to worry about.

2. Time capsules are known to overheat and become faulty after a while, maybe yours is pooping the bed.

3. Sounds like a 3G modem to me, do you have one of those wireless cellular data dongles?

4. Have you plugged in a Canon projector or something of the like lately, did you install anything for using one? This might be it.

5. Yes, the computer has bluetooth, in fact, macs have had bluetooth since the powerbook days(2005 or so?). You can turn it off easily, the icon is at the top of your screen, near the airport and sound icons.

First things first, I would repair permissions in disk utility, do a PRAM and SMC reset(you can search for both of these on the apple support website) and see what happens.

If it doesn't fix anything: I would try to run the Apple Hardware Test using the DVD that came with the computer. Plop it in, restart the computer and press D as soon as it reboots, run the extended test. If that doesn't find anything, you may want to bring it to apple for further diagnosis.