Why are Apple product launches not handled like WWDC tickets?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Oppressed, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Instead of staying up all night and hope you get your order in why can't we enter our order into a system and if we win the lotto we get a first day release?

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Because that's unfair to people who get up at the crack of dawn to get one.

First come first serve is, and always will be, the fairest option.

3. Oppressed thread starter macrumors 65816

Oppressed

But that is how it use to be to order WWDC tickets and they switched it to the lotto system. Why would they do that if it isn't a fair way to do it?

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If they used that system I doubt there would be many people getting up at the crack of dawn to get their name in.

5. Oppressed thread starter macrumors 65816

Oppressed

That is the whole point. Instead of millions of people getting up early, and hammering the order system which always crashes it and only to end up with and order that won't be fulfilled for weeks you would just casually submit an order during a time period and Apple will tell you if your order will be a launch product or not.

6. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

The random system creates tons of complaining from people that don't get tickets to San Diego Comic Con. At least with the current system you can't complain if you didn't get in line first.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Okay, but where do you draw the line? Would you do the same for a queue in store (this is essentially an online queue, after all).

If somebody was queueing for 2 days (it's been known to happen), and someone at the back just arrived, but because of the lottery, the person at the front might not get one and the person at the back may.

8. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

The current system is also plenty broken. Some people ordered band/model pairs at 3:03 and 3:06AM ET, only to still be processing while some folks who ordered their same configuration 25 minutes later already received their stuff. Fact is, Apple didn't go in perfect/honest order this time, these forums concisely prove that, on the small scale that they are.

9. Daku93 macrumors regular

WWDC Tickets are limited to a certain number. Apple Watches are not.
    If you were too late to order WWDC tickets in the past, you would definitely not get any.
    If you were late to order an Apple Watch you just need to wait longer, but you will 100% get one.
    That's why they use the lottery system for WWDC Tickets but not for Watches.

10. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Which is why I don't have mine even though I ordered before tens of thousands of other people for my exact same model and band?

11. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Being in front of your computer or device at a specified time isn't quite the same level of hardship as standing in line for two days.

12. Oppressed thread starter macrumors 65816

Oppressed

In general Apple watches are not limited, but launch day Apple watches are. They can call this the early adopter program or something.

Also if you don't win the lotto then you of course have the option to stand in line for the store launch. Kind of best of both worlds. Basically the whole point is to avoid the image below.

Attached Files:

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They are limited to the number built before launch day, and for a while after that.

14. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Which model did you order? Do you know that there are people who ordered the same config, in the same country, after you and got theirs?

----------

I think it's clear from the 2 week delivery window that Apple had no idea how many were going to be out for launch day.

15. LiemTa macrumors regular

Because developers are by nature, logical, and understand when they aren't picked. Normal people, however, are unreasonable and entitled so they will cry and bitch and moan.

16. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Who are all these people that preordered the IDENTICAL same model (size; band, band color) as someone else in the EXACT SAME geographical/delivery area that had NO PROBLEMS with orders being canceled, credit cards being charged, duplicate orders, etc that didn't get a watch while someone who ordered far after them did?

I'm not talking a minute or two (or even 5) because that could be chalked up to order processing time.

I just am not buying that this is a widespread issue.

17. Gooberton macrumors 65816

It's bad because people That REALLY want one get shafted , the guy who puts his name in at the last minute who cares less, wins

18. water0nmars macrumors newbie

Myself and two co-workers in Dallas, TX all ordered the 42mm Space Grey Sport with black band. They both got their watch yesterday, I'm still waiting on mine. My order confirmation is for :04 minutes after launch in the 4/24-5-8 window. Both of the other two were in the late May to early June estimate according to what they told me.

19. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Are you sure they're not yanking your chain?

Did your order have any processing difficulties at all?

20. water0nmars macrumors newbie

That is a definite possibility, you're right. I've known them both for a while now though and they've always been pretty straightforward, trustworthy people so I choose to believe they just got it early.

On my end there were no processing difficulties but there could have been something on Apple's end that I don't know about.

21. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Hmmm. I bet your order got hung up in the system somehow. :(

22. Jason83 macrumors regular

Jason83

The people who want a lottery-based launch are those that want something but don't want to make the effort to get it. Personally I prefer the brick and mortar retail launches over even this forced online preorder nonsense. Lining up in person is THE single fairest option, as your likelihood of getting your product at launch is a direct function of how badly you truly want it.

23. Oppressed thread starter macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Actually I ordered at xx:02 and my space gray model will be here on Monday. I put in the effort and I'm getting it early. That is not to say that this launch angered a lot of people and tarnished Apple's reputation a little.