Why are apple secretive about their discount %age for students?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prhymeate, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Prhymeate macrumors member

I called the apple store here in London to see how much I would get a new MBP for as a student because I will be returning to University in September and can't decide if the discount is worth waiting until then, or if I should just buy now. The guy said he couldn't say but someone would be able to help if I turned up to the store with all of my Uni ID etc etc, which I obviously won't have until September anyway.

Do the discounts vary within the same country and between every customer or change each month or something?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Maybe the guy just didn't know. Don't assume they know what they are talking about just b/c they take orders for Apple. I asked a phone rep in the U.S. if the antiglare screen was plastic or glass and she nearly laughed at me for suggesting it could be plastic. Of course then she spoke with a tech and had a nice serving of crow.

Anyway, Apple has an EDU web store for the UK so I don't think they are all that secretive about pricing.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

To view the prices online you have to be connected to a campus network. However they give you a phone number to call:

4. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

When i have used my student discount they have selected my university from their hand held units so i think it depends on your University.

You can use your Acceptance letter when you get it from your university.

5. tianuk3 macrumors member

supposedly a select few universities have a special discount with them.

anyway, the discount is 14% so MBP 13" costs 859 pounds

and you can get applecare for 49 quid instead of 200.

6. aaron4osu macrumors newbie

the discount is different depending on the model and region. if you go to the apple store web-page and select educational pricing(or something like that) it will show you what the savings are. 13" mbp you save $100 us, 17" mbp you save $200 us.

7. Prhymeate thread starter macrumors member

Ah okay, hopefully I'm in that boat as I'm doing digital media design at the london college of communication which is an apple authorized training centre. I guess we'll see.

That is good that you can use the acceptance letter too.

Thanks everyone :)

8. TristUK macrumors newbie

Cheers for the info! Really good to know :)

9. Reapur macrumors regular

Wow that seems really excessive, here in Canada all you have to do is go onto the education online store select what school you goto from a drop down menu, and then configure your machine. Click buy then enter your payment information. There is no actual confirmation of student ID what so ever.

If you have a friend that is attending school with an ID you can walk into the store with that person and have them pretend they are making the purchase. Its really not that hard to get the education discount on Apple stuff.

10. Ja-m-ie macrumors newbie

Hey - UK buyer here.

The only way I can afford a Macbook Pro 13 is with the Student discount [university] and I am currently in the my first year of 6th Form and don't fancy waiting another year.

Just wondering if it is true that I can go through the Student Discount website [I have a link to the Bristol one], that lists the prices with the Student Discount, and purchase a MBP through that?

Do they do any checks to see if I am a student?
    Will it effect my warrenty?

Thanks

11. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

No they don't check, so go ahead and buy one through the website and get your MBP save some money.

12. Ja-m-ie macrumors newbie

Awesome! I might hold off a bit and see if they do any back to school deals, just to see if I can save a few more quid. Anyone have any ideas when this might be?

13. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I got the 15" i5 for £1288 from £1500 through Student Discount.