why are apple users so desperate for new hardware/updates

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by steve knight, Aug 15, 2009.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

after reading here for a few months and getting my first iphone then my first mac. I sure enjoy them. but I read so many posts about when is the new (insert your wants) coming out what it will be how great it will be. no one seems content with what they have even before the newest is out people are asking about the the one after it. with only a few posts you know apple does not release any info.
    I long ago stopped getting excited with computer updates and new hardware. I can see if you bought something (me it was the iphone) that really let you do something new. but buying a faster computer that you will do exactly the same things you did on the last so long ago I stopped spending so much on new computers and only bought when the last one got so slow or so buggy or died. but even then it was like wasting money because yes it was faster but it did not do anything more then the last one.

I am far more content now without the need to get something new all the time or waiting with baited breath for the next bone apple throws my way. am I the only one?

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I use a four year old eMac as my main machine. When it no longer meets my needs, it will be replaced. I don't worry about keeping up with the latest and greatest, because it's a waste of money and time.

But, most people here get a kick out of stuff like that, and I say more power to 'em.

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes I sure understand I bought new mac mini as I was new to mac so having some support was good. but my wife is blind so I found her a g4 that works fine.
    I always feel like it is a waste of money spending much on a computer. I remember spending over 1000.00 on a pc. but my last dell was 400 only because it was the only model I could get xp drivers for.
    I am this way about most things anymore. if I buy something new I want it to really offer a lot of value or make my job easier or better. I enjoy it far more then. if I just buy it for fun it does not bring as much joy.
    upgrading seldom gives me anything new so it does not really offer much pleasure.

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I don't quite understand why this is in PRSI, but I'll go ahead and give my answer anyway.

Why do Apple users constantly want the next "new" item? Because most of them are materialistic people with too much money to spend. I see it often on these forums, but it seems a lot of people like to define themselves by what they own. Just look at the signatures with all of their "gear" listed.

So no, you're not alone. I bought my laptop close to four years ago, and will probably have it for at least another four.

5. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I'm not going to buy a new computer and then 15 days (1 day more than the return period) later a new model comes out.

6. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

It might be because you're taking your sample from a Mac Rumours site, and not a Mac Community or Mac Fans site. If you come to a place called MacRumors, it's likely because at some point or another you were specifically looking for hardware updates.

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Speaking of that, don't people in the other parts of the world get mad whenever they have to type in "www.macrumors.com" in the URL field, but manage to type in "www.macrumours.com"?

8. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I was considering making a joke about the incorrect spelling :p

I've personally never made that mistake, but it might have something to do with having bookmarked MacRumors from the get-go :3

9. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

They have the time and money. I love my Mac Mini and I hope I have it for a very long time.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

This is a bit judgmental. While it's true that there are plenty of people on here who buy a new piece of hardware at *every* revision -- a lot of people here simply like to *read* about the new technology and theorize about what might be released and how it might change the game.

I have a mbp that is over three years old and I don't intend to replace it soon. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy all the rumors about a tablet possibly coming out--or new processors.

Thanks to the those materialistic people, they can go out and spend their money and experience the hiccups with the new hardware long before I do!

11. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Cash fat people living on the bleeding edge keep technology moving forward. If there wasn't ongoing interest in new stuff, then no company would be willing to commit big bucks to R&D. OS 8 was a serviceable OS as was Win 95. Who is willing to swap a modern OS for those? I guess it's kind of like aviation. Props got the job done, but airlines jumped to jets anyway. As far as I'm concerned, all this makes life more interesting.

Dale

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There is only one Apple. That is rare.

If you go to a forum that is dedicated to any brand, there is tons of anticipation.

Unlike Windows users, Apple users, outside of Hackintoshing, are forced into waiting for Apple to update. PC users have tons of options.

Go to the BlackBerry forums, this is nothing new.

If you want to see the PC equivalent head over to:
    www.pcrumors.com

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

My friends that are into overclocking and pushing the extremes of the processors and video cards, crave the software updates to get the most out of their ardware like Mac owners wait for hardware updates.

14. JBazz macrumors 6502

Personally, I think Apple keeps us going with their secrecy.

Personally, the only time I keep up with the new this or that rumor is when I am in the buy mode. I use to keep my computer for many years, basically until they were no longer fixable. Then I found out how well used Apple products sell. With my discounts and/or buying refurbs, I can upgrade for sometimes less than $100, less than the cost of most AppleCare plans.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's alright for you OP. But some people play games on their macs and would like better graphics card, or a faster CPU for rendering video (my Powerbook took 12 hours to render a HD video where my Macbook took an hour. Which then goes on to save money on leccy bills). Or a bigger HDD or a new monitor that works in daylight (again, the powerbook was impossible to see in daylight).
    There is a purpose to upgrading.

17. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

^^ Your PowerBook could be read in daylight with a new screen I bet

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea, but like I said I also needed a faster CPU so I didn't have to leave my Powerbook rendering video for 12 hours a time.
    Also: limited ram, weak graphics card, 30 minute battery life, couldn't run Windows on it, 4:3 display, old DVD drive, non-backlit keyboard, not n-band so it was limiting the speed of the network to other computers too.

19. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I just like to buy things :D

Really no more complex than that.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I go through a computer every 3 years, sometimes in 2 years. I don't think I'm very materialistic. I enjoy the faster speed, and new design that a new Mac will bring. Additionally, by selling the computer after 3 years of service (or 2), I get about 60 - 70% of what I originally spent, there by making it more affordable.

I generally don't judge people who buy things, even if they choose to buy new computers evey year. Whom am I to judge how they spend their money. Presumably they've worked hard at earning it, and they can spend it any way they see fit

21. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I think some people are more passionate than desperate.

New toys are cool and new electronics are just awesome. Apple is known for secrecy and it keeps everyone guessing on what's coming next. The guessing creates a buzz. The buzz gets buyers thinking what if....

Apple releases something and you want to try it. Buy it, have it, smell it, fondle it. Make it crash, complain and think how you would have designed it or if it had this or that. It festers, creates more buzz for rev. 2 with all the things not on rev. 1 and you want that too. Rev. 2 > 3, etc.. Repeat cycle with new product.

Apple is innovative. They make cool toys and put a different spin on things you think can't be made cool. A phone? Who the heck cares about another stinkin' phone? iPhone<iPhone 3G<iPhone 3Gs. Same with a laptop. Or an all-in-one desktop. Or a simple music player.

There's a buzz and everyone in the PC world wants Windows 7 too. Why so desperate? Isn't Vista good enough? XP still works great, kinda but why want Windows 7? Try and buy a Wii two years ago? Well you have a GameCube right? Not being an Apple fan boy or anything but they do seem to be the innovators or right on edge innovating products or ideas that eventually gets copied. MP3 players. Windows GUI. Built-in wireless everything. Networked printers. Smart phone. Losing the floppy.

Apple users like design and user friendliness too. The stuff is just cool. Not all of it is stuff I buy but things like laptops and iPods I use anyway, I dig the new designs & features. I'm always trying to find out a way to get a new toy. Not because I'm desperate & can't live without it, I just want it because it's cool - or not. Don't have an iPhone. Or a MacPro. But if I was a user of those, I'd probably be buying them from Apple and passionately awaiting a refresh or new product too.

Apple is cutting edge and cloaked in secrecy. I'm thinking about that tablet. Don't think it's anything I need now but if it has a cool feature that is really cool, I may just buy one to see what they were designing and keeping hidden from the rest of the world these past years. My iPod Touch is just fine but if the next one has a camera and other really cool stuff and features on it, may just get one of those too.