Why are backups taking up so much space on my HD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DePaulBlueDemon, Oct 2, 2011.

1. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Mac newb. Look at my hard drive breakdown below:

[​IMG]

I have a Time Capsule setup and backup an average of 2 times a day, so what are these backups? Also, where are these stored? Can't find them. Once again, I am a Mac newb.

2. DePaulBlueDemon thread starter macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Nevermind, those were "local" backups for the Time Capsule. Time Machine keeps local backups "as space permits" which is incredibly stupid. Well, at least incredibly stupid I can't opt out.

3. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

You can use a terminal command to stop those local backups or do what I did, just turn automatic backups off and right click on the time machine icon in the menu bar whenever you want to back up and click "backup now". But that would mean it won't backup automatically which some might say defeats the purpose of having a Time Capsule

4. marc11 macrumors 68000

You can turn local back ups off via terminal command. It does not turn off auto back ups to your TC.

5. DePaulBlueDemon thread starter macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Thank you.

I used the "sudo tmutil disablelocal" command and disabled local backups for Time Machine.

6. itisntme macrumors newbie

You should think yourself lucky! I've been backing up photos and my back ups are up to 294GB.