Why are cases so difficult to find for a new iPad right after one is released?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by max2, Jun 23, 2017.

1. max2 macrumors 68000

Why don't they plan to release them the day of the new iPad release ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because Apple is a secretive company, you need to give 3rd party manufacturers time to make them. I'm still seeing some cases being announced for mid-july.

I bought an inexpensive JETech case, to hold me over as I decide exactly what I want

3. Kelson13 macrumors member

Kelson13

If Apple released their specs or made production models available to case manufacturers in advance, they'd end up all over the internet. Apple likes to play it close to the chest, so the 3rd party accessory makers don't get to design products until the iPads have been released.

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That's part of the story but there is more to it than that. Ever since the iPad Air 1, there hasn't been any 3rd party smart covers. That is significant.

5. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I agree with OP. I bought the iPad 2017 and still have a hard time finding a good rugged case for it. I have been using an iPad Air 1 case but I would like a rugged one where I can use the fingerprint scanner. I am sure if I looked online I could find one but places like Best Buy just don't seem to have any.

6. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

And so far the only real exception seems to be Logitech - which Apple trusts to keep quiet.

7. Elwots macrumors member

If you're looking for rugged, but still professional looking, check out the UAG case. Best Buy will be getting stock of these within the next week or so. I'm waiting to see one in person, but I'm leaning heavily towards buying this one.

8. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

Cool thanks!

9. Akonpex macrumors newbie

Will the old iPad cases (with the same dimension) fit the new iPad? If yes, which to buy? Kinda need it urgent as I'm taking it on a trip.

10. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

The new 12.9 pros have the flash, microphones, and light sensors in different spots.