Why are contacts messed up?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by bhigh8, Oct 2, 2014.

1. bhigh8 macrumors 6502

So I used icloud to move everything from 5S to 6. Now I have a ton of emails addresses in contacts. Most are duplicates. How did this get turned on and how do I turn it off? I only want phone numbers in contacts.

2. 0xyMoron macrumors 6502

Did you sync with iTunes and iCloud too?

3. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure what you mean? I have not plugged into iTunes. Just did iCloud backup and moved to new phone. Why would I have every person I have ever emailed in my contact list now.

4. 0xyMoron macrumors 6502

Are you the only one who uses this iCloud account? Did you sell your other phone without resetting it?

5. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

I figured it out. I had to go into each email and turn off contacts in each acct. not sure why it defaulted to on. As I just brought over my setting from previous phone. Thanks

----------

Actually I'm not sure this is how im supposed to do this. I'm looking at my old 5S and it had contacts listed for each email acct but it didn't show in contacts. So still not sure why it's showing all my emails in contacts.

6. 0xyMoron macrumors 6502

Use this with caution (If you decided to) get iTools or any iPhone utility, back up all your contacts to .vcf format, disable iCloud syncing for contacts and select delete from this phone (all your contacts will be deleted from your phone) then use something like Notepad++ to batch remove duplicate entries and restore back the newly modified contact files to your phone.

7. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's done it again. Moved all the people I have ever emailed to my contacts. Why is this and how do I fix it? I just want my name contacts. Within those I can add an email if I choose.