Why are downloaded items (Firefox, Flash, etc.) downloading as a device in Finder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thankgravity, Aug 5, 2011.

1. thankgravity macrumors newbie

Hello, this is my first post as I just received my macbook pro in the mail today. I have used a macbook before when I was in high school (we were all assigned one) but I never noticed my problem, assuming it is one...

This is in lion, I first downloaded Firefox and it runs fine but like I said it's placed as an ejectable device in finder like the other things I've downloaded online. Also, in my app folder on my dock FF isn't its normal icon but has a circle with a line through it. I did upload two images, I really appreciate the help so thanks in advanced.

Attached Files:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

One of the best ways to download files on Macs is via a disk image. That's what those things you see are called. Once you open them, to can install the application by dragging it to the Applications folder or run the installer package inside it. Once the application is copied or the installation is complete, you can eject and trash the disk image.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

You are installing correctly by copying Firefox into your Applications folder. Now eject the disk image you downloaded. Some apps get that circle icon after copying, just wait and it will return to the normal icon.

Your Flash Player disk image contains an installer, install that and then eject the disk image. Also that Growl disk image just has a preference pane you double click to install.

More info on installing apps: http://guides.macrumors.com/Installing_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X

4. thankgravity thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for your replies. I think I understand now. Thanks again.