Why are GarageBand jam packs so expensive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ghall, Aug 25, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Hi, I('m just curious as to why GarageBand jam packs are $99, which is more than iLife itself. Makes no sense. It should be around $40. Any reason as to why they're so expensive?

I really want the jam packs, but come on, I'm not willing to shell out $99 for what is basically an expansion pack for GarageBand.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Because they are good?

They are not just for Garage Band either.

3. thegrifman macrumors regular

Well, aside from the obvious which is basic economics, I'm guessing that it took a crap ton of work to make them and they want to turn a profit on them so $99 doesn't seem so unreasonable to me.

4. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Check out the price of other samples and software instruments and you'll realise that the jam packs are good value for what they are.

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Okay, yeah I know that they also work in Soundtrack Pro and Logic, but I thought they were specifically designed for GarageBand.

Maybe my idea of a $40 price tag was too low. The most I think they're worth would be $60. I usually don't have much of a problem with Apples pricing but I just think the Jam Packs as well as Final Cut Studio are overpriced.

6. vandlism macrumors 6502

Ha! Final Cut Studio overpriced. Seriously? It's an incredible deal if you're actually in the market for such software.

7. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Well, I guess it's all opinion isn't it?

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

If you start off by comparing the feature sets and prices of other NLEs, then keep in mind that the price shown for FCP is the price for FCS, factor in that Color used to be called FinalTouch and wasn't cheap, then keep in mind that you also get Motion, DVD Studio Pro and Compressor in the box. $1299 is not a bad price.

As for the loops, I'd imagine if you look at other loop packages they're pretty competitively priced.

9. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Hell, one freelance editing job will cover the cost of final cut studio. :rolleyes:

10. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It makes a lot of sense, considering that every single Mac user pays for iLife. It's part of the cost of a Mac; it's not free. That's quite a lot of millions of copies, with 0% piracy (though I'm sure some people pirate the upgrades). Only a small percentage of people, on the other hand, are going to buy the jam packs. Hence, they charge what they think is a reasonable amount based on how much it took to produce the jam packs and the expected sales, with the hope of making some sort of profit. Econ 101. :)

--Eric

11. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i have two jam packs, i have symphony orchestra, and voices, they are both really good and worth the 99 bucks i think...where they are made for garage band is in the software instruments, and demo songs, but the loops can be used pretty much anywhere AIFFs are accepted..

and the quality of each audio file...outstanding

i mean symphony orchestra is 2 dvds worth of content.

12. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Not to mention that Apple provides you the instruments and loops with a license to use them any way you want without paying fees or royalties. Well worth $99! :D

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Final Cut Studio overpriced?! You do realise that Colour used to cost $20,000 (yes I did type twenty thousand dollars) before it was included in Final Cut Studio don't you? If anything Final Cut Studio is underpriced.

14. i make movies macrumors regular

No, it's not. You basically have 2 editing options (in the professional world), avid and FCP. Here's avid.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...c=&fi=all&pn=1&ci=10824&cmpsrch=&cltp=&clsgr=

Final Cut Studio is 1300 bucks. I still haven't tried avid, nor do I want to, but do some research before you call Final Cut over-priced. 1300 bucks is a lot of money, probably 1240 bucks more than you have, but Final Cut Studio is, far and away, the best bang-for-your-buck NLE system, hands down.

If you don't believe me, read all 6 pages of this article about the movie Zodiac.

http://www.ascmag.com/magazine_dynamic/April2007/Zodiac/page1.php

It will change your mind. Also, check out the photos on the right side of the screen. There is a diagram of the movie's HD workflow, edited and mastered with final cut studio.

15. weckart macrumors 68040

Harsh. I think Media 100 and VCube may beg to differ.