Why are hard drives so pricey now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiltrip, Feb 1, 2012.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I bought a Seagate 750gb 7200rpm drive for my MBP for $69 a few months ago. Now they are $150. What's up with the current prices, and more importantly, when do you think they'll come back down?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Depending on which model you bought, they're still $69 at some stores. You just have to shop around, as always.

3. simsaladimbamba

There has been floods in South East Asia, which destroyed and damaged a lot of industries, thus the higher prices, as there is more demand than there is product.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Lots of computer components such as HDDs and RAM are commodities now and the price reflects availability and demand.

5. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

RAM is low, and drives are high. That's the weird part.

6. marc11 macrumors 68000

This is not new. Supply and demand laws dictate prices and most everything. The issue specific to hdd is due to the floods in Thailand and the loss of manufacturing capacity. Thus less supply, equal or more demand plus increased manufacturing costs equals higher prices. Thailand is recovering and manufacturing is returning. We should see prices continue to fall to preflood levels over the next few months.

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

RAM factories were not hit by the floods in Thailand.

8. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

There we go! Thanks.

9. Skyrim macrumors member

I heard Thailand might move its capital to other place after this disaster.

10. malman89 macrumors 68000

^This. You don't even need to be a general news consumer to have known this, it's been reported on a few times on tech sites like this one because of the industry-wide effects it has/will have.

Also could've been a sale/deal and sounds like just one website. Look around, there's always a deal to have.

11. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

And here I thought that I was exempt from the drive shortage, but found out just a bit ago that my Time Capsule is back ordered.

12. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

You've obviously never been to Thailand!

13. marc11 macrumors 68000

Lol plus 100 on this.

14. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Some areas in Bangkok are still a disaster. Some drive manufacturers will not be back online for another year.

15. iforbes macrumors 6502

16. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

they seem to be coming down in price now, i just got a samsung spinpoint 1TB for $119, i think that was only $10 more than the price at release

17. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I don't think the disaster affected Samsung as bad as others (maybe they had a better stockpile) as their prices didn't skyrocket as much as other manufacturers.

18. maflynn, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not just hard drives. camera makers like nikon had a lot of manufacturing plants in Thailand and it severely hampered their ability to produce certain models of their cameras.

losing about 40% of the supply of a product will drive up the price

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's some related and current news about the hard drive shortage

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/02/seagate-expects-flood-related-hard-drive-shortages-to-continue/

19. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I was thinking that's good for canon, but I believe they suffered some loss due to the earthquake/tsunami last year.

20. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I believe Samsung drives are all built in Korea. I don't know why they would not raise the price to meet the demand in this market though.

21. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

22. old-wiz macrumors G3

I wonder why they concentrate so much manufacturing in an area prone to natural disasters? Why not disperse to have plants scattered or at least in safe areas?

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The Sony NEX-5N and NEX-7 are in short supply for the most part and I think its because of the flooding.

Until the flooding started, I had no idea so many companies rely on Thailand for manufacturing

24. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I am waiting for the Canon G1 X, and a few good reviews before I bite the bullet on a new camera. If it's reviews aren't superb, I will look elsewhere.

25. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

A good question, but it usually bold down to cost of labor, land rights, and the EPA sanctions in the areas (this is why lots of Semiconductor manufacturers moved out of California years ago, Silicon Valley used to be known for the Silicon made there, now it is mainly a design and engineering think tank due in part to the strict California emission laws and regulations as well as land and labor costs).