Why are iPhone/iPad apps stored on Mac's now?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrMister111, Oct 17, 2014.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

On my iMac I have iTunes, library, and in there have loads of apps for iPhone and iPad. In fact they take up 25Gb I've just checked. Now we have numerous iPhones and iPads in the household, but only sync with iTunes for music, and do it wirelessly anyway. Its my music so I have to look after it as such.

With apps though they are all held on Apple servers, e.g. when you do a iCloud restore, on the iPhone/iPad they are just "markers" and then they redownload, otherwise the iCloud backups would be HUGE. SO the apps are held on Apple's side, and I'm happy with this.

So why do I need to store 25GB+ on my iMac, wasting HDD space, and more crucially more Cloud (Non Apple Livedrive/crashplan type) backup space that I subscribe to is getting used by this.

I need to regularly update all apps on my iMac, for no reason really either , as I just update on the individual iPhones/iPads anyway. Can someone tell me why its needed (apart from plunging in to sync maybe), why have all them on the iMac etc.

thanks

2. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

itunes has stored apps on the hard drive for as long as i remember (as long as you had the options to sync apps with the computer enabled)...

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

They have always, but now iCloud is about, there's no reason. Maybe if you need to do a full restore it will be quicker as the apps are on the Mac, but I just normally do an iCloud restore without connecting to my Mac anyway.

4. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

I believe your iOS apps are only stored on your computer if you choose to backup your device (iPhone, iPad, etc) to iTunes or transfer purchases to your computer?

Or are they showing up without you having done either of these options (manual backup / transfer of purchases)?

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

I probably in the past backed up, like everyone before you could properly to iCloud. I'm happy to not backup to my iMac now, it would save me do much HDD space and cloud backup space.

How can I disable this now then?

6. luked14 macrumors 6502

You can just delete all the apps from your iTunes folder and then just never backup any devices to your iMac.

7. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Are you sure? It's safe to do this? Anyone else confirm this please. Do you do this?

When I go on my Mac now, even though I haven't plugged in an iPhone/iPad, it still updates apps etc though

8. luked14 macrumors 6502

Yes, it's safe to do this. You can either delete them all from Finder or go to the apps page in iTunes, hit command+A and delete them all from there. Then you'll just have to empty your trash.

9. MrMister111, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Why are iPhone/iPad apps stored on Mac's now?

I still want to sync with iTunes on my Mac though is this still ok to do?

I'm talking my music, my own, non iTunes bought, movies etc.

So can I delete all the apps in iTunes, and still use it for music and my movies.

By the way you should never delete anything in finder as it will cause problems, doing it in iTunes would be ok though.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

iCloud will only backup the apps that are on the device. It should be okay to sync without the apps there. It won't ever delete one from your phone for example.

11. CelestialToys macrumors 6502

There is one good reason to keep ios app back ups on your computer: If an app gets pulled from the app store then you don't lose access to it.

12. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm sure once you've bought an app, free or paid, even if they are not on any iOS devices, it had a little cloud so you can download them later.

For example, some apps are free for a day, promotion etc, I normally "buy" the app even if I don't download it will always be in my account that I can download later on?

13. CelestialToys macrumors 6502

Yes until it's removed from the app store it is available to download, but some apps get pulled and then you lose access.

This is the same for music and movies/tv bought from itunes, there is no guarantee that it will always be available to you unless you back it up on your own local storage.

14. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

So what's the general conscience then, keep them on Mac as well? Can't thick there's too many apps that aren't available that I did have before.

The issue I have is that there's always updates to do on the Mac, and then they have to be updated to my cloud backup service

15. CelestialToys macrumors 6502

I personally keep them all on my mac but just update them once every month or so.
    My itunes library is on it's own dedicated external drive and gets cloned weekly to an off site hard drive.

16. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks.

I thought about using offsite external HDD, but too much hassle to remember etc so went for a cloud backup service (KnowHow) instead. Trouble is when it says a change it backup up.

May just update every month suppose, it's just habit to update when I see the apps need it.