Why are iPhones v1 selling like crazy on eBay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Marley Mac, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Marley Mac macrumors newbie

I'm perfectly content with my iPhone v1. However, when my coworker put his iPhone v1 up on Craig's List at 9am, by 10am, he had gotten constant calls/emails/texts of offers, where the highest one is $325, for an 8GB older version! That would cover the price of a new 16GB 3G iPhone, and now I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

Has anyone done this? Are there any consequences? I know that the rate plan is more expensive, but for twice the storage, and the new features (as few as it is), it could be worth it...

2. snake101st macrumors regular

People do it so they dont have to pay the higher data plan, or they see that its unlocked and can use it on other service providers... that's my guess.

3. dxpx macrumors member

dxpx

IMO, the V1 will continue to sell for more simply because a lot of people are still irritated with the compromises of the 3G - namely, the plastic backing.

That might sound ridiculous, but lets face it - alot of people judge a book by its cover. :D

4. yode macrumors 6502

325 is not that high... you should be considering it to the price of non contract form at&t which is 599 for 8gb and 699 for 16gb. so 325 compared to 599? 325 is cheap.

Btw. This > All

5. markgamber macrumors 6502

ROFL! Sold for $21,100! How retarded do you have to be to pay $21,100 for an iPhone? Well, now we know. :-D

6. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

I sold my 16GB 1.0 on eBay for $449 last week. The funny part is I bought it as a refurb from AT&T for $349! In any event. I still think there is a huge market out there for countries that don't have the iPhone yet but have GSM networks. They pay a premium for it so we in turn get a little benefit out of that. I can't think of any other logical reason why.

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Aside from 3G, the new iphone doesn't offer all that much more than the original once you upgrade to the 2.0 firmware. The GPS is expendable since the wifi/cell tower locator performance appears to have improved dramatically in the new firmware.

8. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

I have been very on the fence about getting rid of mine for a 3g... a friend of mine wants it for his wife, but at the same time I am seeing these online going fro $300+!! I didnt think it would be worth more than $150 after the 3g came out. My original 1.1.1 phone is in near mint condition, the only marks on it at all would be slight bezel scuffing from my incase slider. and even that is so extremely minimal. IMHO i might be crazy to let my jailbroken near mint phone go for $150.