Why are jailbreaks not headline news?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by h1r0ll3r, Oct 12, 2010.

1. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Just out of curiosity, since Macrumors posts lots of goodies about all things Apple related, why are there no breaking headlines when the JB's/unlocks come out for the iPhone? It's quite evident that lots of people are eagerly waiting for this information so I would assume that MR would post some headline that the jailbreakme.com or greenpoison or limera1n JB is out.

I believe they did something for the jailbreakme.com exploit (at least I think they did) but nothing so far for the "green" JB's. Is this deliberate or do they not like to focus on this aspect of Apple things or is it just not that newsworthy?

Not sure where else this Q should go so I figured I'd start here.
    Thanks.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

MC have always been kind of "don't ask don't tell" type of actitud over Hacking/Cracking/Jailbreaking situation. They focus on "rumors" more than actual development (and there is a good reason for that, advertising). The parent company have a different blog for that.

3. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

We are force to reside in a far away dark lonely corner of MacRumors. We are like the weird uncle in the family, people know we exists they just choose not to acknowledge us in public.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know, they're not very proud of us I guess:D

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

LOL I can't say I blame them most the time :eek:

6. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Yes, including this past weekend. It was pandemonium. I'm not surprised they didn't want to highlight the insanity taking place here.

7. Pojo458 macrumors member

Pojo458

This jailbreak wasn't that big, I think the jailbreakme exploit gained the most news but that was only because it used a very serious pdf hole in the 4.0 firmware that needed to catch the attention of Apple.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We do somewhat limit our mentions of "unauthorized" modifications such as jailbreaks, although we do cover the bigger stories related to the topic, such as the jailbreakme.com story. We've similarly posted several articles about the potential for jailbreaking the new Apple TV.

So it's certainly not off-limits for us (heck, we've got entire forums devoted to it), but at the same time we don't post each and every time a new jailbreak comes out. It's a combination of the gray area of the topic and the expectation that such releases regularly come soon after each Apple software release.

I think we may have covered jailbreaking a bit more in the past when it was a novel activity, but at this point it's usually just a new tool to accomplish the same thing each time.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

From that description, isn't that something that could fluff up page 2?