Apple TV why are JB ATVs selling for so much

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sabot105mm, Mar 26, 2012.

1. sabot105mm, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

sabot105mm macrumors newbie

i find it weird that jailbroken appletvs sell for so much money on ebay. Now is that because ISO5.1 hasn't been jailbroken yet, or has the jailbroken appletvs always been able to sell for so much money. in other words, is the present cost for jailbroken appletvs on ebay just a bubble?

2. here2rock macrumors regular

The reason is that you can JB the old one not the new one. A lot of people want their TV to do more than just iTunes.

3. sabot105mm thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks. but read my post again cause one would expect a answer different than yours.

4. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Sounds like a good response to me. I have 2 ATV's one is jailbroken on 4.4.4 and the other is upgraded to iOS Version 5 and not jailbroken.

I wish I could jailbreak the other one, so I can watch HULU and the movies on my server.

I'd pay more for a jailbroken one. I am waiting for the new version to get jailbroken.

Once you have XBMC on your Apple TV it's worth much more IMO.

5. sabot105mm thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah but for 200 dollars in most cases? at the moment 5.1 can not be jailbroken. one would think the price is that high because of it. meaning a price bubble.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

The problem is we dont know when that could be. I'm debating buying an apple tv on 4.4.4 or an atv3 on 5.1 and just waiting it out.... Suggestions?

7. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

It may be a bubble price, though even when it is jailbreakable one that is already jailbroken will sell for more. Some people don't want to do it themselves. They might not have a computer, or don't want to figure it out. Not to mention, after jailbreaking you then need to add software. If it's added before you buy it, it saves some people a headache.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

jailbroken iOS device always sell for a higher price right after a new firmware is released and Apple stop signing the Jailbroken firmware, some people are willing to pay to have a JB device after they cannot be JB anymore

9. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Just want to remind everybody that AirFlick works great and helps alleviate the need for a jailbreak for the time being.

10. sabot105mm thread starter macrumors newbie

does anyone think once 5.1 can be jailbroken, one could still make money selling them?

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes it will be jailbroken, and yes you can make some money, when 5.1.1 or 5.2 is release... :)

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Man, I want an unlocked ATV2!

Who are the carriers, Comcast, DirecTV, or Dish Network?

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

ATV is not a Setup box, or anything like it, it does not have a "carrier", it is an "streamer" box.

14. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

15. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I apologies your royal highness, I got no understanding of that "jailbreak" you speak about, I am just a simple user :rolleyes:

Even on a JBed deviced, there not "carrier" you "genius" all the content come from internet streaming, and the premiums channels are stolen recordings.

16. DTxAg macrumors newbie

Firecore has apparently released a jailbreak for 5.0. Unfortunately, it is a tethered jailbreak.