Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
My friend (also a Mac user) asked me this, and I didn't really have a good answer. Do Windows users have similar boards to MacRumors? To Windows users piece together shipments of 20,000 7inX7in boxes and assume new X product? Maybe the devoted just frequent this board - but it seems that everyone who is a Mac user is a "die-hard" Mac user.

Why do YOU think Mac users are so ridiculously devoted??
or, why are YOU devoted?

enclave

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2004
carletonmusic said:
My friend (also a Mac user) asked me this, and I didn't really have a good answer. Do Windows users have similar boards to MacRumors? To Windows users piece together shipments of 20,000 7inX7in boxes and assume new X product? Maybe the devoted just frequent this board - but it seems that everyone who is a Mac user is a "die-hard" Mac user.

or, why are YOU devoted?

One word, community.

Mac users are friendly and helpful, we love the product because it just WORKS.

JesseJames

macrumors 6502a
Ohhhhhm, ohhhhhm, ohhhhhm. Must worship Mac. Must worship Apple. Ohhhhm.

Apple just makes great products that a lot of people are enthusiastic about.
Some - not all - can take their enthusiasm a little bit too far.
As with anything.
Personally, I think Wintel machines aren't all that bad. But if I had the a preference I'd go for a Mac because it just "feels" better. You know?
It's like the difference you feel between a cheap suit bought off the clearance rack and a tailor-cut suit made just for you.

JRam

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2004
Santa Cruz
I think the reason I see a lot is that you have to actively choose to be a mac user. Its a lot easier when people are going out to buy a windows machine, the majority of stores only sell windows machines and the amount of mac stores and resellers is a lot less. If you want to get a mac you first have to find a store thatll sell them, then you have to pick the model you want, yadayada. For the average computer user I think that its too much work and requires too much decisions to be made on something they arent comfortable with. And even though mac has the reputation of being more user friendly than most, if you go to mac theres still this sense of being the ''lone wolf'' because if something goes wrong, then you better be able to fix it yourself because all the people around you are probably going to have windows boxes.

Its a hell of a lot easier to go out and buy a windows box, hell they are practically falling on top of ya, but if you want a mac, ya gotta go looking.

JRam

matthew24

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Netherlands
The Big Difference (Contrast): M$ and apple:

My zeal for Apple has a lot to do with the experience I had with M$. M$ is an abusing monopoly which tries to the destroy every open standard there is.

Apple allows the user to control his own computer, with M$ you are being controlled, security is a mess and keeping your OS in an good condition is something like mission impossible. Apple has proved that owning a computer can be a worry-free experience, and this needs to be proclaimed, otherwise there will allways be the danger that the M$ bulldozer will crush every free mind.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
It is not ridiculous that we are devoted to the mac. I switched 7 months ago. When I was a windows user I just treated my pc like crap(well it was crap). When I got powerbook. I started to bow down to it. I gave it baths(taking a damp cloth and cleaning aluminum). The screen only has one dead pixel :( . But, it seems to be stuck because it goes away sometimes :) . I baby my 12" powerbook. When I put it back down on a desk I go into slow motion and slowly lower it and put it on the desk. Panther was awesome. I fell in love with it. To bad we can't marry computers :p.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
carletonmusic said:

or, why are YOU devoted?
There are sites devoted to Windows and groups who worship Bill Gates as the great and all powerful Oz. However, most Windows users are hourly workers who are paid to use their computers. Even the vast majority of salaried workers who use Windows are required to use it and are paid to do so. There is also a large group of Windows users who get paid to help other workers use Windows. To these people, Windows is work, like pouring concrete, waiting tables, or teaching unruly children. But, to these people Windows are computers and computers are Windows. To them, if the Mac is a computer, then the Mac is Windows at high prices and fewer applicatons and nothing deserving of anyone's loyalty. For a user to willingly pay high Apple prices and to actually enjoy using its products is surely a sign of madness.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Design: Apple puts a lot of thought into its machine design, especially notebooks. Watch & Listen to Johnathan Ive talk sometimes, it makes a lot of sense. I love their designs, from the OS, all the way to the hardware.

some persecution: I got a lot of flak when I first bought a Mac, all of it from windows users. 1 of them in particular who would call me and talk about my sh**y Mac, then ask all kinds of questions about winXP.
So naturally I tried to find other Mac users to hang out with. It's been an uphill battle, but rewarding and I'm never going back to the windows world. (The Linux community wasn't very nice to me either, but that's another story.)

And it Just Works :)

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
carletonmusic said:
Why are Mac users almost "cult-ish"?

Why do I act so cultish?

uuuhhhhh....ummmm..... idk, something to do?

oh, and because I know that every aspect of Apple is better than M$.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
The reason I act cult-ish is because I know that the Mac is better than Windows, and i want to let others know that.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
I'm actually in a real religious cult...so that would explain why i act like that.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
It's not only because we appreciate the quality and beauty of Macs, but also because Mac users are in a very small minority, and as anyone can tell you, most Wintel users are ignorant or (to put it charitably) uninformed about Macs. If Macs had 20% market share, I think there would be much less of a "cult."

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
we're just a smaller community, which makes it easier to band together.

it helps that macs have always seemed more personal than a personal computer. i've rarely heard of someone naming a pc, but i have plenty of friends that name their macs.

and macs work so much better, their user base is happier and friendlier and more conducive to making friends.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
jackc said:
It's not only because we appreciate the quality and beauty of Macs, but also because Mac users are in a very small minority, and as anyone can tell you, most Wintel users are ignorant or (to put it charitably) uninformed about Macs. If Macs had 20% market share, I think there would be much less of a "cult."

I think that at the point of 20% share it would break out into factions, the reactionary dynamics of which would undermine the original Mac ethos. .. but then again, maybe not.

There is that short movie iBrotha which humorises the cult metaphore of the Mac while at the same time paying homage to Rodney Lain.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
What people have said are good indications of why we all like macs, but I have one thing to add, i think our "persecution" by arrogant and obnoxious and sometimes just mis-informed PC users helps this. When you are constantly harrassed about your computer choice, especially when its a choice you make rather than just going with the mainstream you get defensive? Why because its a natural reaction to critcism, especially the kind you get in regards to being a Mac user. When you are called stupid just because you use a different computer without any logical (or at best fallaciously logical) reasoning behind it you want to stand up for yourself. Given that Apple tends to appeal to people who are willing to not just go along with the majority, we are less likely to just give in and change. You tease a dog a little bit it can ignore you, but you constantly tease it and it starts to fight back, then you start blamming the dog for being agressive. I think the same is true about PC users and Mac users. Alot of times you are harrassed because you use a Mac, so you get sick of it and start fighting back, then they accuse you of being a zealot (another attack). Just about anytime I am harrassed now I ask them why its so dumb to use a Mac, then when they start saying the usual things (Macs are more expensive, no software, more people use PC's) I start breaking down their arguments. Either through counter examples, the first two, or taking their argument and replacing it with a similar situation (Just because a majority of people in the world do something one way does that make it better/right). Soon they either realize that they have no good reason, or they devolve into, "well Macs are just dumb" at which point you tell them to go away.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
carletonmusic said:
Do Windows users have similar boards to MacRumors? To Windows users piece together shipments of 20,000 7inX7in boxes and assume new X product?
Sure, the same things happen but not in quite the same way. The overclocking and gaming crowds do get just as stoked over leaks about new processors, boards, video chipsets, software and so on. A big difference is that the watching is scattered among the activities of multiple vendors, while in the Mac community most of the interesting developments are channeled through a single company.
Maybe the devoted just frequent this board - but it seems that everyone who is a Mac user is a "die-hard" Mac user.
You do have to remember that over the past several years, the platform did go through a period where the available offerings were weak enough that only die-hard fanatics would have stayed around. While the audience is (very) slowly rebounding, the fanatics are still the core constituency.
or, why are YOU devoted?
I moved away from the platform in the '90s when suckage took over, and didn't look back until they started making cool toys again.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
There is an ad campain in Canada about smoking where in the commercial it shows two guys who are smoking in their kitchen and talking about smoking. (they look like "rippers" but i'm not sure if everyone will understand that) There is one where they talk about how they don't understand how people who don't smoke meet people. One sas: "So I was hanging out in the designated smoking area and this guy walked up and he looked like a total jerk but then he asked me for a cigarette I was like woah man you smoke, and he turned out to be really cool."

Well i was thinking of making a movie like that, except about macs. "I don't know how people who don't use macs meet each other. Cause like, I was hanging out at the apple store useing an iMac and this guy walked up to me, and he looked like a total loser but then he asked me if I could help him with is laptop problem."

Hmmmm, needs work.

matthew24

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Netherlands
-The passion for our Macs is is a direct result of our excellent user-experience in contrast to most of our experiences with Wintel boxes. Our admiration is just logic.
-What bugs me about most PC users is that they 'choose' for Wintel because they just follow the masses (my neighbour is a lemming, so I will be a lemming). As a result we have to put up with PC's in our neighbourhood way too much. So we try to escape and try to find out where our Mac-mates are hanging out. We are in the same boat, surrounded by sharks. ;)

Koree

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2004
Philadelphia
Well...

Our computers are sexier. ^^ its true! Well thats only one of the many many reasons.

Well be mac user and be proud, very proud of it,

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
For me, OS9 was the reason I hated Apple. When a friend gave me a test-drive on his OSX Powerbook, I started drooling (he had Applecare :p ) In order of importance:

1. Interface
2.. No Viruses
3. Sexiness

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.