Why are MacBook Pros so far behind the iPhone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mildredop, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Mildredop macrumors 68020

There's a lot of tech in the iPhone that Apple tells us is "revolutionary" etc. etc., but they don't bother including it in the MacBook Pro?

For example:

- OLED
    - Lightning connector for headphones
    - True Tone display
    - Face ID (they've only just put Touch ID in the Mac - several years after it appeared on iPhone - only to say it's now obsolete)
    - Changing screen colour temp at sunset/sunrise

It's a shame the Macs are left seriously behind the times. But it's also a shame no other PC manufacturer is seizing the fact Apple are seriously resting on their laurels.

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

You seriously comparing a phone to a laptop?

3. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes, I am.

They're both mobile computing devices made by the same company, so I don't see why it's unreasonable to compare them.

Why does the iPhone have lightning but the MacBook Pro have a 3.5mm jack? Why does the MacBook Pro have Touch ID when we're being told it's obsolete? Why does the iPhone have a big cut-out of the screen when the MacBook Pro doesn't? Why does the iPhone have GPS when the MacBook Pro doesn't?

4. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

That just arrived a few weeks ago...

How's that useful again?

That was actually an iPad first feature, not too long ago either.

This may be your only good point, TouchID came a little late. I guess they also were figuring Touch Bar to launch at the same moment. FaceID is something I see arriving on every Mac at some point, not sure when.

Your Mac has Night Shift if it's a compatible model, mine has it anyway.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 15, 2017 ---
    That port is actually used for more than just headphones, like professional audio gear. Lightning is not more useful on a Mac, certainly not over USB-C which is already on there.

It wasn't in 2016, it isn't really right now.

Maybe because it's a different design? Just guessing?

How does this question make sense anyway?

5. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

What exactly are you using a MBP for that you feel they are in any way comparable to a phone?

6. evec macrumors regular

Why are iPhone so far behind the Mac 40 years as no Keyboard build-in as Apple II with.

7. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

It does have a built-in keyboard.

8. MBX macrumors 68000

Dude I'm shaking my head at your thread...

- OLED ONLY JUST got introduced to iPhone X and it's not even out yet.

- LC for Headphones also only recently introduced because of Apple's decision to get rid of id and for some reason not to use USB-C which is a mistake in my opinion.

- Face ID ONLY just got introduced to iPhone X and it's not even out yet.

You're bitching about stuff mostly that only recently got introduced in iPhone X and it's not even out yet.

9. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

Using headphone whilst listening to music/movies - can't use headphones from the iPhone

Keeping the MacBook Pro secure - only just adopted Touch ID
    You are right - but then these must be things Apple has known they were going to introduce? By having so many technologies coming to iPhone it just makes the MBP seem very far behind.

I've been looking to update my 2013 MBP for a couple of years, but keep holding off thinking they're about to have a massive update to bring-in all this new stuff.

10. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Password is more secure than TouchID, which is why TouchID is a secondary security addition developed to bring ease to the experience, not replace. If you use TouchID on a Mac you'd know this already.

Also you cannot use headphones to listen to music on an iPhone? You mean you can't plug in a 50 year old audio jack into it, and you're complaining about Apple being slow to move forward? Use wireless, or the little dongle that came with the iPhone if you must.

MBP and iPhone are completely different things, designed for completely different markets. One is a computer and the other a phone, it should really be that simple. As for why they concentrate on the iPhone ahead of the Macs, Apple are a company, phones sell loads more than computers. It makes perfect business sense.

11. SteveJUAE macrumors 68030

SteveJUAE

Yes I can see your point other OEMs have OLED panels, face recognition and fingerprint logons way before Apple and many 2 in 1's with full OS also have native sim support with GPS etc like phones and touch screens on many windows laptops with pen support

Yes there is no reason why you would not expect like others that MAC's should inherit some of the technology from it's sister IPhone camp

Some of it may be simple commitment, policy on keeping devices overlap minimal and of course even the IPhone has only just caught up and started using OLED and Face ID, so wait even longer for MAC's but some should come eventually

12. Nilhum macrumors regular

Nilhum

There no reason to removed the headphone jack from a laptop, it saves no significant space. Lightning is useless on the Mac and USB-C should be on the iPhone as well.

OLED is almost on on laptops. It is not feasible yet. There is already an OLED production issue which is very difficult for laptops.

13. SteveJUAE macrumors 68030

SteveJUAE

Samsung have 10" and 12" AMOLED panels on their W10 laptop/Tablet for over a year and is probably one of the best screens around for colour accuracy etc

14. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

Easy to make panels when you only have to produce a half dozen a month. ;-)

15. SteveJUAE macrumors 68030

SteveJUAE

LOL (Slight under estimation) guess they are too busy making all those other significant parts of MAC's and IPhones :D

16. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

[snark]Since when was Apple in the business of selling Media Access Control addresses?[/snark]

17. Cycling Asia macrumors regular

Damn, not many "helpful" responses. IMO your question is perfectly valid, why is there such a discrepancy between the tech in one mobile computing device made by Apple and another?

I think it is due to the return on investment for Apple. iOS based devices will inherently give a greater return to Apple simply because everyone is locked into Apple's ecosystem. A developer wants to sell an app - they are required to use Apple's store (and Apple gets a cut of the profits). A user wants an app - they are required to use Apple's store (and Apple gets a cut of the sale). MacOS based systems are not locked down, so developers are free to sell from their own web site, users are free to go elsewhere to purchase apps. Apple does not get a cut.

Apple wants to target the fence sitters, those who are not sure whether to purchase a computer or a tablet, so they ensure the iPad is so much more attractive to those users. Another locked in user is another continual money stream for Apple.

Apple has never made a cent from my Mac purchases (other than initial purchase), whereas they have made money every time I purchased an app for my iPhone.

That is why the iOS devices will always be ahead of the macOS devices - return on investment.

(I'm sure I'll get flamed for this as much as you got for your original question)

18. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Alright lets flip this.

Why is the iPhone so far behind the MBP in terms of specs, I mean the MBP now has 16GB of RAM, whereas the iPhone is still rocking a measly 2-3GB?

19. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Hmm... My MBPro has a 1TB SSD.
    Why is the storage in my iPhone so tiny?
    Hope Apple does some catching up on that soon. :D

Don't think that anyone would class a laptop as a mobile device.
    Certainly mobile enough, but last time I checked, it's a portable computer, not really a "mobile device", is it?

Oh, another point here: my iPhone has a real touch screen. None at all on the MBPro (not counting that touch-bar, of course.) You won't likely see a full touch screen on a laptop from Apple.

The two devices have very different purposes - each with their own uses.
    I think that Apple will apply technologies to the devices where it makes sense - and supports the user experience - and (most importantly to Apple) leads to more sales.

20. boast macrumors 65816

boast

The phone is their top-tier product where are their engineering focus goes into making the next greatest thing. Next their iPad and watch. Their biggest attention is on mobile devices. Everything else is just maintained/updated in their spare time. All just my opinion.

Let’s see if the next MacBook does get Face ID, a 1080P FaceTime camera, 120Hz ProMotion screen, True Tone, etc...

21. leman macrumors G3

Smartphone development cycle is more rapid, with frequent changes being expected and accepted. Its ok (and in fact, desirable by the users) to bring a completely redesigned phone every year/include new cool tech. Not so much for laptops/desktops, where sort of stability and any kind of innovation is immediately met with loud complains by conservative users.

This makes the phone an ideal platform to test out new tech. If you look at it more carefully, Apple uses the phones as a large-scale beta test for new components (e.g. multitouch, retina screen etc.) but also software. These things are then adjusted based on their performance and feedback, and its not unusual for them to change significantly before they are adopted on the desktop platform. Its a win-win scenario, really, the typical smartphone enthusiast gets new vanity stuff and the computer user utilises the smartphone popularity to improve stability.

Another issue is that one can't directly translate components from smartphone to computer platform. Take displays for example. Apple only now starts using OLED in their expensive, exclusive "future-tech-preview" model, simply because whey were not happy with the limitations of the mainstream OLED so far (oversaturated colors etc.). Now they got the tech that satisfies Apple's perfectionism, but they are struggling to get enough production for a limited-release phone. I doubt very much that they could mass-produce much larger panels required for the laptops right now, even if they wanted it very much. And its not like the rest of markets are ahead. There are OLED laptops, but so far, it seems that Apple's LCD displays are very competitive in terms of color accuracy and contrast, while delivering better energy efficiency and much better brightness, making these LCD more practical in an actual computer.

22. SteveJUAE macrumors 68030

SteveJUAE

Maybe you could of picked MAC cosmetics for your pun, it may of been closer :D