Why are my apps taking up so much space?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rorycosgrove, Jul 12, 2013.

1. rorycosgrove macrumors newbie

Ok, it's been asked before, but I've got no answer. My Dictionary.com app alone is taking up 191 MB, while the app is only 52MB, and I've cleared my history and even deleted and reinstalled it. But it's not just that app, among others my Angry Birds FREE is taking up 127 MB after I deleted and reinstalled it as well. What gives?

Note: this may also somehow tie in with another of my problems: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1609181

Thanks for any help you can provide

-Rory

2. richard6r macrumors regular

My guess is that the dictionary app has to download ..uh well, the dictionary lol. Most apps generally take up on average 50mb's so it's not uncommon if you have an 8gb iPhone to run out of space so quickly. Manage your space better, size down on video taken through the camera and maybe convert your mp3's to a space friendly format.

3. rorycosgrove thread starter macrumors newbie

So you mean all the dictionary information is not part of those 52 MB? An app should not grow in size without any interaction; as far as I'm concerned if something is gonna take up 191 MB straight from the App Store, that should be listed as the App file size (even if its technically downloading more information).
    Also, isn't that what networks are for? In this head-in-the-"Cloud" driven world I find it surprising that a dictionary app would download the entire dictionary to space on a users hard drive rather than simply accessing an online database...

-Rory

----------

And what of Angry Birds? The App Store lists it at a reasonable 29 MB. Am I to assume that the levels which are part of the game aren't actually part of the file? Seems illogical if you ask me. If they wanna give me a giant file, they should at least tell me

-Rory

4. richard6r macrumors regular

It wouldn't be uncommon for the dictionary app to download extra content for use offline. The app itself might be 52mb but the database is separate. Again- same with angry birds, apps don't always store all their files within. I've had several apps ask me to download extra content for viewing in HD or some would take awhile to download and unzip the files off a server.

Nothing big. Like I said, if you want to save space try the tips I posted.

5. sando88 macrumors newbie

What you see in the App Store are basically the installation files,like in pc there are games for instance that are 5gb,after the installation they take 9gb or something.It's pretty much the same thing,with the social network apps it's another thing in time they get get more and more of your memory what you have to do is simply reinstall them.

6. rorycosgrove thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just gonna ask about that. I was looking through some photos on the Facebook app and now I'm all out of memory. I'll delete and reinstall it, but that's just flat out dumb. I've seen other photo apps that let you clear a cache when you're done using them, or even do it automatically. No one should have to completely delete an app.
    And I understand the dictionary/angry birds thing, but I just feel like they should warn you of the size of the file after installation, or perhaps ask for permission to download content like was mentioned

-Rory

7. sando88 macrumors newbie

Unfortunately for apps like twitter and Facebook there is no option to clean your cache,and in time you have to reinstall it well at least that's the only way I know to solve the issue with social network apps,but you're not missing something if you reinstall them.There are some programs that can help you and free some memory on your device when it gets full like http://www.imobie.com/phoneclean/ I am using it and for me it works,it is free and can clean cache,temporary files,offline files and junk files.if you like try it.

8. rorycosgrove thread starter macrumors newbie