why are my pictures black? iOS 5 beta issue

Discussion in 'iPad' started by flipm725, Aug 8, 2011.

1. flipm725 macrumors regular

I'm running iOS 5 beta 5. How do I get them to show properly?

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

I have no problems. Did you set up as new iPad? I did. Also, try to unsync then resync your photos.

3. shandyman Suspended

remove them all and re-add them. did you update OTA? if so did you do the "erase contents and settings" method as apple said?

4. telephonepanda macrumors newbie

I just had this issue. Either do as shandyman said, or in my case, I had a photo plist file corrupted and had to delete the relevant plist and rebuild the iPhone photo library. Not much fun, but it worked. When I get 5 minutes, I can look out the method I used to do this if that would help?

5. cdavi060 macrumors regular

Yes, that would help alot. I have this same issue and wish to fix it.

6. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Photos seem quite bad in beta 5. I don't take pictures on my iPad, but on iPhone some pictures don't show up in camera roll at all, some show up black. Of the ones that show up black some appear in Photo Stream looking ok. I've even had a photo I took which never appeared in camera roll but still made it through to Photo Stream.

7. cdavi060 macrumors regular

I found a solution for this exact problem on iOS4.1 but it proved not to work in iOS 5. Does anyone have a solution besides wiping the phone and starting over?

8. solidus430 macrumors newbie

I've been having this issue since beta 5 as well. If you could post your method for fixing this and rebuilding the database, I would be really grateful. Thank you!

9. idkmybffjon macrumors member

this was a known issue, either way it has been fixed in beta 6

10. solidus430 macrumors newbie

Actually the issue is persisting for me in Beta 6, even with a complete wipe and restore. I need a method that will allow me to force the camera app to rebuild my photo library database from scratch because it doesn't seem this problem is going to fix itself in this beta, at least not for me.

11. ByronBrewer, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

ByronBrewer macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. Below seemed to solve it for me.

--WARNING--
    If you're not comfortable modifying system files/folders on the phone do not proceed. I'm not an iOS expert so if you brick your phone following these directions don't look to me for help. I just did some research and figured that by doing this it would force the entire photo library to essentially start from scratch. If you have photos on your iPhone that you are afraid of losing I assume you would be able to take them from the DCIM backup directory (step 3), import them into iPhoto and then bring them back into your iPhone via sync after completing the steps below. Don't hold me to that though.

1> Grab iPhoneExplorer (so you can browse the filesystem)
    2> Force quit the Photos & Camera apps (may not be necessary)
    3> Browse to the Media folder on the filesystem (via iPhoneExplorer) and drag the contents of DCIM and PhotoData to a folder on your computer to back them up
    4> Delete the contents of DCIM
    5> Delete the contents of PhotoData
    6> Launch Camera app and take a picture
    7> Launch Photos app and confirm the Camera Roll is working properly

This also seemed to resolve the annoying errors that always said it was syncing, restoring, etc while viewing the camera roll and other albums.

12. UCLAKoolman, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

13. starpilot macrumors newbie

I just used the iExplorer fix with my iPhone 4 running iOS 5 (was never in the beta). Nothing short of a lifesaver, I had gotten back from a three-week vacation in south asia when this problem started happening mid-way through. I just nervously kept on taking photos… They're all there, whew.