Why are my videos in iPhoto smaller than when I drag them to my desktop? + other ?'s!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ryanstewart, Dec 17, 2011.

1. ryanstewart macrumors member

Heyo,

So my basic task I'm working on is taking the videos from my iPhone 4s and getting them from iPhoto into Final Cut Pro X - and I have several questions stemming from that!

Firstly, to use a certain video called "Jazz" as an example, when I see "Jazz" in iPhoto it says that it's a 3.4 GB file. Yet when I drag it to my desktop, it's 7.72 GB. Why the huge difference? Does iPhoto somehow convert the file when I drag it to the desktop? It doesn't have this difference with photos, just videos. Also, side note question, is H.264 a type of .mov file or totally different or what? Because on the desktop it's a .mov file, and in iPhoto it says H.264. I know they're somehow related but I'm very up to date on my video knowledge. When I find "Jazz" in the finder it says under the details that it is 7.72 GB, and a .mov file, FYI.

Secondly, is there any way to rename the file name of a photo/video inside of iPhoto? Without going into the finder, I mean. I know this is the video section of the forum, but I thought you still might know. I've searched a lot and the typical answer I've found is no, you cannot, but those answers seem to be really old so I thought something might have changed by now. I know you can change the title of the photo, but I'm talking about the actual file name on the hard drive.

Thanks for the help!

2. ryanstewart thread starter macrumors member

Also, I just tried the same process of dragging a video to the desktop to compare the file size, and I found out that on smaller videos, it is the same size both in iPhoto and on the desktop. "Jazz" was a 45 minute video, but a smaller 7 minute video didn't have the discrepancy in file size. Weird.

3. cgbier macrumors 6502a

h.264 is a video codec, .mov is a container holding a movie file.
    The desktop shows you the filetype, iPhoto shows you the codec.