Why are Netflix and Youtube so terrible on ATV4?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by andrewtm, Oct 31, 2015.

1. andrewtm macrumors regular

I'm very disappointed in both of these apps' UI. The whole horizontal scrolling just doesn't seem as efficient as lists/vertical scrolling. Netflix also doesn't allow sorting by genre? And YouTube doesn't allow visiting channels by video? I know that this isn't in Apple's control anymore but why would they approve something like this.

It reminds me of when the App Store's top charts had horizontal scrolling and they eventually changed it. So you can only hope they'll do the same for this. And don't even get me started on the new on-screen keyboard...

2. NC Randy macrumors newbie

NC Randy

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I like the new Netflix App. The HBOGo app is horrible though...

4. Sukach macrumors regular

I strongly believe we will see improvement in time. These debs had one month to get their app ready, so they focused on core functionality. I believe we'll see improvements to all these apps over the next 3-6 months.

5. jman240 macrumors 6502a

These apps now mirror the apps that have been around on every other platform for over a year (except the xbox360 one I think). The apps that were on the previous apple tv, as far as I am aware, were actually made partially by apple or with a more limited dev kit. They kept with the old apple tv design language but now that everything is truly app-ified they can release the same apps they have everywhere else.

Basically it's not netflix's design language and not apples.

Looks like the netflix one was a redesign from 2013 http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/22/netflix-video-update/
    Same story for the HBO and hulu apps I would imagine.