Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
Why are new displays for iPhone 5 so expensive? I see them going for around $280, while the 4s is only $80! :confused:

herdnerfer

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Saint louis, MO
5 is a brand new screen, the manufacturing isn't there to lower the price yet....

iPhone 4 screens were crazy expensive when they were first released...

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
Why are new displays for iPhone 5 so expensive? I see them going for around $280, while the 4s is only $80! :confused:

David,

This is a very common question that people ask me all of the time. Because the iPhone 5 is relatively new to the market, the parts available on the market are in limited quantities, and are not as plentiful as the iPhone 4/ 4S screens.

As the iPhone 5 ages a bit, they will go down in price just like the iPhone 4/ 4S screens. Its just a matter of time :)

A good price for the screen is around $250, but many companies are price gouging right now because there is a low supply.

I hope I was able to answer your question somewhat! lol

----------

So about how long did it take for the 4s to become more reasonable?

I would say another 1-2 months for there to be a drop in the iPhone 5 LCD digitizer assemblies.

The iPhone 4/ 4S screens were once around $200 when they first came out as well. Also, phones are becoming thinner and thinner, and also have different technology which raises production costs, thus raising the cost to the consumer :(

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Doesn't the 5 use a new technology (in-cell or something) where the touchscreen is integrated right into the LCD? I can imagine that such new technology has its price...

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
also with the 5 its a full replacement of the screen/glass/digi, not like the earlier ones when you could change each bit

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
The iPhone 5 screen is a much more advanced screen than the iPhone 4s.

The touch sensors are integrated into the display, which in turn is laminated to the glass.

This makes the display 30% thinner and greatly reduces refraction.

At the same time, it has much higher saturation levels, and much more accurate colours.

So your not just buying a screen, your buying the a much better screen, with integrated touch which is laminated to the glass.

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
The iPhone 5 screen is a much more advanced screen than the iPhone 4s.

The touch sensors are integrated into the display, which in turn is laminated to the glass.

This makes the display 30% thinner and greatly reduces refraction.

At the same time, it has much higher saturation levels, and much more accurate colours.

So your not just buying a screen, your buying the a much better screen, with integrated touch which is laminated to the glass.

This exactly. Better/ newer technology is always going to be expensive until something else comes out, or until it has been on the market for a while.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
David,

This is a very common question that people ask me all of the time. Because the iPhone 5 is relatively new to the market, the parts available on the market are in limited quantities, and are not as plentiful as the iPhone 4/ 4S screens.

As the iPhone 5 ages a bit, they will go down in price just like the iPhone 4/ 4S screens. Its just a matter of time :)

A good price for the screen is around $250, but many companies are price gouging right now because there is a low supply.

I hope I was able to answer your question somewhat! lol

----------

I would say another 1-2 months for there to be a drop in the iPhone 5 LCD digitizer assemblies.

The iPhone 4/ 4S screens were once around $200 when they first came out as well. Also, phones are becoming thinner and thinner, and also have different technology which raises production costs, thus raising the cost to the consumer :(

Yes, thanks! You answered my question perfectly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.