Why are pages files so large?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jwolf6589, May 22, 2018.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Wrote a small letter (text only) of less than a paragraph and its at 117KB. The same file in .docx is 56K. Why are pages files so large?

2. kaya macrumors newbie

.docx is a zip-compressed file. This may be the reason why it's smaller.

3. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Even .docx files are larger than the older.doc files. But honestly why are word processing files so large these days? Remember Claris Works back in 1994? Remember how large those word processing files were? Fitting on a floppy disk and all.

4. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

Because they contain a high resolution preview image of the file.

5. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

LOL. I remember when an entire operating system fit on a 3.5" 1.44MB floppy. You're dating yourself John. :D

6. crjackson2134 macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

I remember when it all fit on a 5.25" floppy. I fact, I remember when it didn't exist and I worked with paper/tape loaded mainframes bigger than my house with less power than an iPhone 3G.

7. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

I remember when there wasn't even paper, just a piece of slate. All I had for writing was a piece of chalk. I had to sharpen that on a rock. Life sure was hard, way back in the 80s. :rolleyes:

(hmm... What? :cool: )

8. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

If you make a copy of that .pages file and rename the extension to .zip, you can open it and see what is taking up the space. I suspect that 40KB or more are the preview .jpg files.

9. crjackson2134 macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

I've dated myself lots of times. Especially after my kids were born.
    --- Post Merged, May 23, 2018 ---
    I remember when the Ancient Aliens landed and taught me about slate, chalk & rock. And files were newfangled hand tools, not word documents.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I still have a Risc OS machine. I just tried writing a few lines of text and then looked at the resulting file in a plain-text editor. There are a few bytes of control codes:

But the rest of it is just plain text, presented as-is. Total size: 239 bytes.

Obviously adding more fonts, bold, underline etc will increase the size, but not by much! And until you start embedding images and other "fancy" things there's nothing that will bloat the file. It does make you wonder what the modern word processing tools are doing...

11. Caraffande, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018

Caraffande macrumors newbie

I totally agree with you! It is not a matter of writing with real paper or using bludgeons like someone is sarcastically saying.
    It is deliberate waste of valuable disk storage to encourage customers to buy more and more demanding hardware which fosters more and more demanding software which fosters more and more demanding hardware... and so on, ad infinitum.

I've created a text only Pages document and opened it with the .zip trick.
    Well, of an overall size of 740 KiB there is a Preview Jpeg 110KiB large, along with 6 PresetImageFillsXXX.jpg, each weighing roughly 90KiB, so that of 740 KiB, 650 KiB are wasted for (useless?) JPG.

12. 960design macrumors 68030

Pages incorporates version control.
    File > Revert To...

I do not believe Word has version control. I could easily be wrong, I have not used Word in over 10 years.

13. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

No version control in Word. As a matter of fact, if you accidentally delete a Word document and you haven't selected "Always create a backup" from Word preferences, your chance of recovering the document are slim.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

At work I was recently asked to deploy a new document template to all staff. The size? 40 MB. It has some nice photos in it, but a 40 MB template = 40+ MB documents.

I used the "zip trick" and found that it contained super-high-quality photos, which I was able to compress to JPEG with practically-unnoticable quality loss, getting the template down to less than 10% of its original size. I'm glad I took the effort!