Why are people planning to camp out for the iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by themkook, Sep 15, 2014.

1. themkook, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

themkook macrumors newbie

I understand those planning to line up for the iPhone 6 Plus - those have long been sold out. This thread isn't about that.

However, I see posts from people planning to line up for the regular iPhone 6. Why is that?

iPhone 6 doesn't really look to be sold out.

On the Apple website, I see the iPhone 6 still available in multiple sizes and colors in multiple locations around me for pickup on 9/19. Pickup means one doesn't really need to line up 12 hours before or camp out.

Granted, some models may be sold out in certain locations but even then, there is either another location nearby that has it or the delivery is in 7-10 business days.

Which is way less than 3-4 weeks for the iPhone 6 Plus.

So why are people planning to camp out for the iPhone 6? People who do it for "the experience" make little sense to me and add to the length of the line for no apparent reason.

I guess this is just a rant because I don't really get it since the phone is not really sold out.

2. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

Perhaps they lack the attention they needed during their childhood? Plus most of us have a full time job. Wait, even if I don't have a full time job, I wouldn't wait in line.

3. Kiju macrumors member

There's the novelty of wanting to be one of the 'first' people with the phone. There's also the people who find it more convenient to spend a night waiting than wasting their entire day (6+ hours) in the line, even for a pre-order pick up.

If you've ever met campers, I think there is also something to be said about the community aspect of it. It is a fun experience to come together and meet people who have been brought together for a united purpose.

4. turbineseaplane macrumors 68030

turbineseaplane

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Why do you care what others do? Maybe they want to do it for the experience.

6. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

A lot will be camping for the plus which as you mentioned is back ordered for 3/4 weeks.

A lot of people use cash.

A lot of people don't feel comfortable making a huge transaction online.

Whatever the reasons, why take time out of your busy day to sit behind your computer and judge? No offense, but don't you have anything better to do? Not to mention there are a few post about this already if you really wanted to know why don't you look for those threads and read instead of making a new one so you can highlight your opinion?

7. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

You younger people may not remember this, but the "sense of community" is much the same as what we experienced during the gas lines of the early 1970s, where we lined up every week often with the same people.

8. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

what does it matter if it's the 6 and not the 6 Plus they're waiting for? to each their own in buying their iDevice.

9. themkook thread starter macrumors newbie

Why take time out of your day to make me wait in line longer because you want to be there for "fun"? Opinions.

Because by lining up for no genuine reason they aggravate the situation: they unnecessarily extend the length of the line, add to the overall processing time at the store, and decrease everyone's overall productivity.

Let's be efficient.

Doing it "for the experience" is all good and well, but social meetups can be organized elsewhere, with like-minded people, without having to aggravate people who do not want to be a part of it.

If you have to be in line, you're welcome to.

If you don't have to, then let the world be efficient.

Also:
    The "sense of community" in 1968 was not about waiting in line to purchase a piece of technology that will ultimately contribute to your isolation from the "sense of community" you preach about.

10. bigthanbigger macrumors regular

people who love big screen are choosing plus , and people who love regular screen are choosing 6 without plus ......it just a normal choice ........

apple is too smart , 1 design 2 size , beat htc and samsung ,,,, if you want to be a best you need beat the best ...........:D

11. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

They should have 3 lines.. 6, 6 Plus and Pre-Order. :D

12. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Agreed. :)