Why are people so against iPad Photography?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by urkel, Feb 21, 2012.

1. urkel macrumors 68030

I agree that seeing people use the iPad as a camera looks silly, but I'm wondering if that is us being stuck in "tradition" or if there's something more to it.

iPad Photography Pros/Cons

Pros:
    - Bigger screen means better composition
    - Bigger screen means we don't have to be so close to the viewfinder
    - iOS Apps makes editing/sharing much more versatile than standard P&S
    - iOS iPad photo editing apps are often superior to the iPhone versions
    - If given a choice then carrying an iPad is more useful than carrying a P&S
    - A larger screen can make photography more social since more people can see
    - Studio photography is often done on tethered laptops so this is an "all-in-one" setup
    - Video tracking is also often on large screens and its much easier todo on the iPad than iPhone
    - Larger devices give users steadier shots because of the way we hold it
    - Instantaneous display of photos for larger groups
    - Many iPad owners don't own an iPhone

Cons:
    - iPad 2 camera quality sucks

So lets pretend that the iPad 3 has an 8MP camera with a larger sensor that enables to take SUPERIOR pictures to the 4S due to a faster shutter speed and greater Depth-of-Field. If you're walking around with an iPad and iPhone then would it really be crazy to pick the superior camera rather than the less embarrassing one?

And what exactly is it that makes it so embarassing? Does anyone really look "cool" carrying an iPhone a foot away from their face with one hand and trying to press the virtual shutter button with the other? I remember when I got my first "digital viewfinder" camera back before it became standard and I felt odd using that postage stamp screen but I got over it. We ALL got over it. Who's to say that maybe big-screen photography ISN'T the future? Especially if the iPad 3 camera makes your pictures worth the initial eye-glances.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Who's to say? Maybe history?

How many large format cameras did you see people carrying around during the pre-digital era? :D

Joking aside, an interesting question. I think you'll see some usage but it's unlikely to take over since people truly serious about photography are more likely to use a DSLR or dedicated camera (optical zoom, anyone?) and those just doing snapshots/social media are more likely to use the cameraphone they always carry vs. bring an ipad to the bar/concert/restaurant/etc.

[​IMG]

3. motoleo, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

It's not like photography classes hand out iPads to students.

And I hope you're not serious, you could not survive if you're a reall photographer with even the iPhone 4S, much less the iPad camera. What is it, like 2 pixels?

No zoom, no focus, no settings at all. You must not know anything aboht photography.

The camera is just there for convenience. Laptops have cameras, but you don't hear us talking about it all the time.

But I will say that the WonderCam however, IS the future.

4. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

You said it - iPad 2 camera quality sucks, I want a picture I'll use my camera or iPhone 4s.

5. SKTHEPREZ macrumors member

Completely...

I agree, they could put an amazing camera in this one, but then what would they give us in the future? If companies really wanted to, they could make cameras all 10+ MP, but then they have nothing to keep in back pocket or hold out on to use as an "upgrade factor" in future models. They don't wanna lap the technology, economics and supply and demand factor.

6. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Well, let's say the camera is better/"great". Do you still use the tiny button in the lower middle to take the photo? Seems a little hard to do right?
    I guess you could use the volume rocker but that seems awkward on the large device.

Second, unless you throw a blanket over your head to mimic the bellow old-style large format when taking it, the whole contraption looks silly.

I saw 2 instances on vacation with people using the iPad2 as a camera at a Zoo. Seemed rather bizarre. Quality sucks, holding it for a photo sucks, carrying it sucks, but seeing that image so large is a PLUS. The one family had the daughter (maybe 8-9) using it and her father looked over and said "don't drop it" as she was looking down into a pit of some small animal.

Idunno. I'd like a better camera, but the convenience is still there for a smartphone camera use and the idea (since I have a WiFi iPad) of using my 3G iPhone to broadcast that photo or email instantaneously.

and I tend to differ: I think many iPad users HAVE an iPhone.
    I don't need to put my face on the iPhone screen to see the photo i am about to take.
    I loved snap seed on iPhone but Love is MORE on the iPad. same basic app, just easier to process...and I do that via Photostream.

7. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I will NOT Rush to get the ipad 3 UNLESS It has a superior camera. We have nikons canons and panasonics but use the crappy ipad camera a lot. For those who posted negative comments, they probabky arent aware of all the camera apps for the ipad that allow ALL kinds of settings and zoom and effects and editing. I'd be thrilled with 8mp on the ipad3. I dont have an iphone and dont need to pay the insane monthly rates.

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

I don't think people are "against" iPad photography, it's just really impractical. For composed images the iPad could be a nice option (assuming they put a camera in there) but for shooting on the go, it's just not an option. Really. Are you going to dig into your bag and pull out the iPad to capture the moment over pulling a camera or phone out of your pocket? Just because you CAN do it doesn't make it a good idea or the best solution.

9. falcora macrumors 6502

I would be inclined to use the iPad 3 for photography, provided its camera is on par with the iPhone 4S. I agree with the OP that there are tons of benefits to iPad photography. The only thing holding back more wide scale usage is that the iPad 2 camera is a piece of crap. Seriously, its like a webcam from the late 90s.

10. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

I don't use my iPad out and about so much except when I forget my camera :p (My so called smart phone is a piece of junk, and impossible to get photos off of without major hassles) But that is only because the quality is so bad.

But at home I use it heaps! Especially videos because I can take then, edit them and upload them without switching device. If the camera quality was better for stills you can bet I'd use that heaps too.

I also use the iPad camera at school a lot! My students love it! I hook it up to the smart board or just walk around with it. They can see what I am taking pictures/videos of, they can learn about applying effects and how to edit videos and they have a blast doing so :) Sure the schools cameras are higher quality, but they are nowhere near as group friendly.

Sadly because some people don't use the camera they think it's useless, I wish people would learn to think outside the box and beyond their own little world. The iPad cameras have a lot of wonderful possibilities if you just try it.

11. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

As someone who does use my iPad camera and would LOVE a better one, I will say that it IS quite awkward to use. I use it because I have my iPad on me all the time around the house, so for snapshots and videos of my baby hen he does something cute it's faster than going to find my phone or point n shoot. But it is awkward to hold it and hit the shutter button - I hope they'll either make the shutter movable or let you use the home button like the iPhone can use volume.

12. poloponies macrumors 68030

Just reread your post and saw this. Anyone purchasing an iPad to use as their primary camera is setting themselves up for a world of hurt. Just because you don't own an iPhone doesn't mean you can't own a camera.

13. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Zoom? Are you serious? Zoomed images look like crap on the iPad and iPhone and any digital camera with a fixed lens.

14. urkel thread starter macrumors 68030

Maybe "against" is too strong a word, but if you look at the tone of the responses towards any iPad camera discussions then it does border on being hostile toward the idea and thats the part that I feel is odd. In no way did I make the thread to say "Sell your cameras because the iPad is all you need" but that seems to be the angle many people are running with as if this is a black and white issue. Sure, the camera might not be for everyone, but its not like Apple charged us for the feature.

Again, I'm not saying the iPad is "ideal" and I agree that its impractical to some degree. But people seem to be very intent in disproving the concept as if it's existence hurts the industry in some way.

That said, I wont use an iPad 3 for my primary camera since I still prefer my Canon 7D/Prime Lenses. But that doesnt mean I wont find some interesting uses for it so I'm very glad it's there and the upgrade likely wont cost me a cent.

15. psonice macrumors 6502a

I write iPad camera software, so I've used it for photography *a lot*. I'll summarise my thinking on it:

- It's almost awesome. The biggest damned viewfinder you've ever seen, perfect for framing shots.
    - With a well designed app, you have so much screen space that you have tons of controls around the bottom corners where your thumbs are, and the view isn't blocked. You can't say the same for iPhone apps - either there's few controls on screen, or the view is blocked.
    - The device size? It makes it nice and stable, but I do find it awkward too. I reckon 5-7" would be perfect.

I reckon with a decent camera and a decent camera app to run it, especially with a retina class screen, iPad 3 photography could be seriously good.

I also reckon apple will continue to cripple it with their default camera app. The iPad 2 camera is capable of a *lot* more than people realise, because they're sticking with the default app. It *can* deal with low light, it can take higher resolution photos that apple's app, and the A5 is powerful enough to do a whole lot of quality improvements on the fly too. And that shutter button right in the centre of the screen half a mile from your thumbs - that's the worst design I've seen from apple in ages!

16. poloponies macrumors 68030

Hey, it's certainly nice to have and fairly useful - even if its usefulness is limited, but it's not a camera with a tablet attached, so if compromises were made, they were made in favor of tablet usability.

17. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I actually agree on this point. I also am not sure why people find it so odd to take a picture on an iPad. It's got a camera. If you already have it out and it's convenient to do so, by all means snap away. Yes, the picture quality sucks, but it's better than nothing.

I remember when iPads were first released and started popping up on subways where I live. Some friends of mine would snicker everytime they saw one, but now it's become commonplace.

18. mikepro macrumors 6502

I think one of the best uses for it is to take a picture or "scan" a document.

And, the best camera is the one you have in your hand. So, if you are using your iPad when a photo opportunity comes up, you have a device to capture it. Hopefully the camera on the iPad 3 will be as good/better as the 4s. It will undoubtedly be better than the current iPad 2 camera, which is a good thing.

19. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I didnt say it was a great zoom just that you could zoom.

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

Digital zoom = cropping.

With all due respect, there's no real point in doing it while composing the shot; you have more control and fine-tuning ability in post-processing. The only reason to use it while taking the photo is for a quickie shot to send to facebook or some other purpose where image quality is of no concern. Even then you're usually better off "zooming with your feet" if at all feasible.

Optical zoom on the other hand would be a nice thing, but highly unlikely in a tablet.

21. KHC831 macrumors member

You can use the volume button on iPad too

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Many of your 'pro' points are either present on the iPhone/iPod Touch or apply to professionals, who won't be using a crappy 2MP iPad camera.

23. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well, you know what they say about "the best camera is the one you've got with you".

So of course if you happen to be out with your DSLR and you want to take a photo, use the DSLR. And if you happen to have even a pocket digital camera with you, then use that. Obviously those will be better quality pictures.

But if you're in some unexpected moment and you need to take a photo and the only thing you have available is your iPhone or iPad, well then, have at it! A lousy photo is better than no photo, and the cameras are slowly improving with each generation.

Apple's marketing department would like you to think "You can leave your camera at home now! iPhone 4S will do it all!" and that might even be true for very casual things like taking pictures of that hilarious sign to post on Facebook. But obviously you should still pack a proper camera if you're planning to take a trip.

But who knows, camera technology keeps improving...

24. chukronos macrumors 6502

We'll have to wait for the better quality camera on the iPad 3, but I think the ipad would be better for video. The size would help with camera shake. And, you could get a better idea of how the video will look on the larger screen.

25. StrudelTurnover, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

StrudelTurnover macrumors regular

I find the position of the camera on all i-devices to be an issue for composition. It's the reverse of most any practical camera: where the viewfinder is in a corner and the lens comes out the middle.

The closer you are to an object, the more askew you have to hold the device for the image to be centered and parallel to the lens plane. Quite frankly sucks for macro work, which is what smaller sensors normally excel at.

And it gives next to no control over light falloff. With a SLR I can still use my free hand to shield from the light source or step back and zoom in. With an iPad I'd have to swivel all the surface area that isn't the camera... how do you design a UI that both locks and changes its orientation easily? There's no way the gyro can cope intelligently with rocking and turning on three axes, and if you like using the physical buttons there's only one of those. No such thing as a secondary portrait grip yet.

Those glossy screens don't help composition either. I'm already accustomed to a light hood with my 4x5" field camera. Don't want to buy an iPad case that folds out into a tent to stop glare... It might look kinda like this beast.

I will say that I gave up my point & shoot for an iPod Touch G4, but that's because I used it for video more than anything.