why are people so concerned about specs on a phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acfusion29, Oct 19, 2011.

1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

when will these people realize it's not the specs that make a phone run well, it's how optimized that software is for that phone...

i've considered android phones in the past, but after using them, i just simply can't stand how garbage their OS runs on this 'amazing' hardware that these companies put out.

android fans make it seem like all their phones are 'teh *****', i go and use them and it's nothing compared to my iPhone 4 (not 4S).

i can bet my iPhone 4 will run iOS5 better than any android device in the next couple of years.

discuss.

2. ctbear macrumors 6502a

3. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Whilst I agree that the software is a major part of the experience it is still important that the spec is sufficient.

I've used some android handsets and they have been very poor but I've used others than have ran spot on, easily comparable to the 4.

For me I simply prefer the iPhone because of its looks and iOS. nothing to do with its spec.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

OP, you are beating an old, old, OLD topic to death here.

You're right, they don't matter, but in the end, people will believe whatever they want to believe.

5. saaketham macrumors member

Same reason why under-equipped people buy bigger cars and bikes - to compensate for certain shortcomings. :D Kidding.

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Marketing hardware specs is easy. Consumers naturally lean towards "If it's faster or stronger it's better". Most products are like this. But, when it comes to personal phones Apple changed that mentality. They take into consideration usability first then hardware specs. They understand the mass general public does not understand or care about hardware specs in the end.

This is why Android's OS has to be on over 50 phones to beat out Apple's three models of iPhones. You will never - ever - find one Android phone selling more than any of the iPhones. :cool:

7. juswest macrumors regular

The question is why do you care, just use your phone if you feel it's better

8. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

How else do they show their e-superiority from Mom and Dad's basement?

9. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Too many people getting caught up with the Mhz myth.. "oh, it doesn't have a dual 2Ghz processor, what will I do". As long as the CPU / graphics is capable to run today's software and the 2 two years, all is good. That goes for memory as well.

Software:
    As long as your phone as the 3rd party software that you need, and a healthy eco-system, thats fine - you then don't need 100 duplications of the same software. Variety is always good ( wallled gardens lead to less variety overall, i.e., I'd like a profiling application - changing ring tones, sound levels at certain times of days etc, or based upon calendar or location - but Appple won't allow this type of app ).

Good camera phones are nice, of course. NFC would be nice to have, but there isn't a lot you can do with them at the moment. Nokia NFC chips can be used to help pair BT, and two player games. NFC would be more useful for payments, but the infrastructure, especially in n.america isn't here yet. Other parts of the world may fare better. So.. hardware that is thrown in a device that is 'ahead of its time' - NFC is one example.

Battery life:
    You can have great specs but crap battery life. Whats the point of that? A phone with moderate use should be able to last a full day. This is one of the reasons I went with iPhone and not Android. Most Android phones are poor for battery life. Too many people I know who have Android phones have to carry around charging cables because it won't last until they get home.

10. juswest macrumors regular

Because all apple loyalists are swimming in success and coolness.

11. saaketham macrumors member

:D:D Nice one.

To the OP - it's the same with cameras - even with tiny sensors, manufacturers played the megapixel game for years. And to the uninformed consumer, more megapixels meant better camera.

12. phillymacuser macrumors member

I agree specs are important but the overall performance should be determining factor. I have iphone 4s on verizon an it flies! I dont get great spec speeds, but it all just works together. Web pages load quickly! Its amazing! I had a Thunderbolt 4G before and although 4G is supposed to be faster it didnt move faster than my new iphone 4s!

13. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

In the past, specs was where it was at. Many of us grew up in that environment.

As the Internet has taken hold and become an integral part of our lives, connectivity and inter-operability have become the new MHz. Being able to sync, talk to other devices, integrate with other systems is more important than being faster.

Developing products in silos is the old way. Developing products that are part of a larger "system" of hardware, software, and services is where the 21st century is at. Sure, it's nice to have the coolest, fastest <insert gadget name here>, but if it doesn't play nice with your other gadgets and it doesn't meet YOUR needs, then the extra MHz or screen inches or GB of storage are wasted.

IMHO.

15. saaketham macrumors member

There should be a short film somewhere showing the latest greatest Android device, being thrown off the throne by the successor which comes within weeks, and then the new OS comes along, and the few weeks-old latest-greatest gadget longingly looks at the new OS, knowing fully well it'll never get it?

16. juswest macrumors regular

And I went from an iPhone to a S2 and it flies. It just works together. I used to buy the it just works argument until I bought another phone. It took some getting used to it, not difficult but just changing ways. Still judging battery life , but the phone performs.

17. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

Oh I know, and Apple loyalists usually respond to spec rattling with vague rants about "experiences" and how expensive their glass toy was.

The mere existence of "sides" and spec fights over cell phones is just asinine, IMO.

18. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

There are several problems here, two of which are fanboy-ism and the other is non rational emotional feelings towards tech/phones. If we take the first problem, we need to understand that fanbois will defend their product to the death, no matter what - these people should be ignored for the most part as they can not and will not listen to reason. The same goes for the second problem, except these people can flip flop from one mfgr to another or one system to another, it is only the current tech that they are using which is best. We all know these people and I'm not pointing fingers here, I'm just trying to be logical which can be hard for some when feelings get in the way.

There are certain facts here which go either ignored or people are ignorant, you can pick. First, there seems to be a recurring problem in the Android app store with malware - I don't know about you but I don't want malware on my phone and I don't really want to run anti-malware on it either. This problem has happened time and time again with Android - so far Apple has kept this at bay. Next let's discuss the 4S - if the 4S specs were in a new form factor then the whole world would be OMG THIS IS THE BEST PHONE EVAR!!! Let's face it, it isn't but the 4S is still a great phone with very decent specs. Sure it would be better with 1GB of RAM and a bit bigger screen, but if you know Apple they are just waiting until next year.

Lastly, the more competition the better for all of us. IDC if you use iOS, Android, BB or Windows - the more one innovates the more they all have to.

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

I know, right?

A5 "dual core" chip, better GPU, and better camera means nothing to 4S users. Let's just stay at the current specs for the next few years. :rolleyes:

20. oshia86 macrumors regular

Comparing phone specs, to me, is like comparing specs of a game console. I don't care what's in it, just do it better than the next guy.

Not quite what they mean.

21. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Hey, what are the specs on that popcorn machine??

22. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

forget the specs, what popcorn is it running on?

23. oshia86 macrumors regular

Ice Cream Sandwich. [​IMG]

:D

24. wratran macrumors regular

if you are not concerned about spec...why not get the iphone 3G?.....
    major difference on the performance of a phone....The 4S is an outdated device on release day....dual core, bigger screen, HD video, etc... has been out for awhile

25. oshia86 macrumors regular

Then you would take a new 6 core AMD Bulldozer system over my quad core i7 2600k? See what I did there?