Why Are People So Passionate About Their Phone Choice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChocolateApple, Jun 25, 2010.

1. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

I love my iPhone. It has flaws like any technology, but I love Apple, and any non-Mac phone won't do for me. Prior to the iPhone, I used an HTC smartphone. Prior to that, a Nokia > Motorolla, etc. In fact I loved my Windows mobile phone once. All was fine, but when the iPhone came along, I was and have been in cell phone heaven every since.

Now other phones are coming out that copy the iPhone, and some who prefer those are SOOOO passionately against the iPhone. Why? Why not just enjoy your choice? If you like your Blackberry or Android, then whatever. Great.

A co-worker showed me a game on the Droid that allowed him to use a Wii controller as if to say, "You got serrrved!"

NO

Isn't it just good to have choices for whichever carrier you choose and whatever phone works for you? I have no problem complimenting non-iPhone phone. It's not for me, but if it makes someone else happy, fan-freaking-tastic!

2. tonedef407 macrumors regular

Your 100% correct. Unfortunately it will never change. In caveman days it was probably stick vs rock.

3. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

A lot of people seem to feel that to justify the choice they made, they must denigrate anyone who made a different choice. Many of those who are denigrated feel the need to passionately defend their choice. Sometimes (frequently, actually) those being denigrated and those doing the denigrating are the same people, leading to the "yes, you are" vs "no, I'm not" exchanges that clog online forums.

My son recently upgraded to a Motorola Backflip (Android OS). He's delighted with it. I just got my iPhone 4. I'm delighted with that. Two people happy with the choices they made: In a rational world, that would be a positive end result, but on Web forums it just means we're both stupid/fanboys/haters. ;)

4. mac jones macrumors 68040

I doubt that. A rock is clearly better. ;)

5. Mshilling macrumors regular

LOL you took the words right out of my mouth :)

6. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

People seem to think the stuff they own defines them in one way or another.

7. Jonowebster macrumors newbie

Great perspective.

8. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I think more than anything its not about the phone...it's about the company. Alot of people are a) jealous or b) think apple users are zombies. Dude!!! they make good products, can people just grow up!. I heard the other day "I hate apple, google rules". What did apple ever do to you? Did they steal Betty during prom night 2005? No! Billy Bananas did.

People got stop hating. God, half their other products in their very own house has a billion more defects and yet they never complain.

Haters just like to be haters. But people with google OS phones, be passionate that you love your phones (it's a such a good OS) but man...it's just a phone!

A PHONE!!!!!

9. paulisme macrumors 6502

The same reason people are passionate about a sports team regardless of their skill. Branding is a strong binding factor in society. Slap two different logos on two different turds and you'll have two groups of people arguing why one turd is inherently better than the other.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm not passionate, I just like correcting mistruths, such as the one that the iPhone is being copied, which it is not, at least not by the other big players (Android, Pre, BlackBerry, etc).

11. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I went to the food court in the mall yesterday after buying a iPhone 4, was a little hungry after my 5 hour wait. This guy was harassing an Apple store employee (who had a shirt covering his Apple shirt to likely avoid situations like this) telling him how he must be making great commission today to which he responded he didn't make commission, then the guy goes on and on about how T-Mobile employees make commission. The Apple guy leaves and then the guy starts telling me about how fun it would be to go and mess with the people waiting in line and try to start a riot. I should of just said huh and continued waiting for my food, but I decided to make polite casual conversation and said that I had waited through the line and jokingly said "yeah after waiting so long everyone there could be a little easily agitated". This shocked/horrified look came over his face and he got all excited and said "You bought an iPhone! You could have bought a Google Nexus One it's way better than the iphone". Again should have just said OK whatever, I knew the guy was just trying to provoke an argument, but I said "No that phone is piece of trash" So then he gets all excited telling me all the things that his phone can do that mine can't:rolleyes:. Guy just kept going on and on. Was really annoying, I'm glad he liked his phone, to each his own. I like my iPhone but I don't go around pushing it like that if someone asks I'll tell them why I like it. Arguing over phones is just really stupid.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Going around saying how great your phone is is annoying, but going around calling somebody else's phone a piece of trash is OK. Got it.

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

It's human nature. We will defend our purchases and beliefs to the end to the point where we will put down any other purchase or belief. It always amazes me how vitriolic people get over inanimate objects of technology, especially under the cover of anonymity an internet forum provides.

People forget that we are all gadget and technology lovers, and it really doesn't matter if we run Mac, windows, droid, iphone, whatever. People should just pick what suits them best for whatever purpose they need the device for instead of spending hours upon hours arguing completely ambiguous points.

Now lets go sing cumbaya together or something...

14. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

Because belittling people is just another sexual fetish.

15. Loiterer macrumors member

Agreed...I never understood the loyalty. This isn't your kid or your dog, it's just a damn phone. Whether here or on the Evo forum, if you dare register any kind of legitimate complaint, everyone calls you a troll or spits out (my favorite) some variation of "Well mine is fine so you are obviously lying."

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have to agree, I was shocked by the number of people who camped out/waited in huge lines for the iPhone. I mean after all it is a phone.

The same can be said for blackberry and android. Sure apple has a cool design, tons of apps, a better battery a great display but pound for pound, will your user experience be any different then an iPhone 3G? Not really, yeah the screen will look better but nothing to the extent in my opinion to motivate people to camp out for days for a cell phone.

17. CandyCane23049 macrumors regular

I was at the mall one day and cousin got reeled in talking to company called Clear that sells internet service,etc..... I pulled out my 3GS to check my messages. He then asked me if I loved my iphone and said yes I love it, he then preceded to tell me that At&T sucked and that he had a EVO.

He then also preceded to tell me Verizon was the best company, I then told him I had problems with Verizon service and At&T was the best I ever had.

He shook his head and told me again At&T sucked and he use to work there blah, blah.........After he still wasn't swaying me, he said that having a iphone is just status quo. :rolleyes:

After saying he had an EVO he said it was stolen and pulled out this old flip phone, my cousin had a Palm and he never said anything to her about her phone or Sprint. I never said anything about his phone and just dumbfounded about the whole experience.

18. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Yeah I didn't know it was what he had at the time or I wouldn't have said that. He was being extremely annoying and believe me most people probably would have said a lot worse things to this guy, he was just looking for an argument, I should not have indulged him as much as I did.

19. bhattsan macrumors member

Love my iPhone 4 and ios 4 but android is a great os too. I like android mainly because it sparks competition which makes iphones better than if they were the only ones in the market. Multitasking in iOS 4 probably came because of the fierce competition from android.

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Why? Because it's one of the ugly sides of human nature. Not with just phones, but virtually everything.

It starts when people are kids with:

• My mom (or dad) is better then your mom (or dad)

and then it goes from there into things like:

• Which sports team is better (who cares-someone else will win next year)
    • Mac or PC (We all know THAT one well)
    • And of course whose phone is better
    • PS3 vs. Xbox vs. Wii battles
    • And we can't forget whose car is better either!

And then we get into the biggies:
    • Whose religion is "right"
    • Liberal or conservative/Democrat or Republican
    • If gays should marry or not

Why we humans have to be this way about everything, I don't know. It seems like most people have this inherit need to force their views about things on everyone else. Not sure why, but it is a pretty consistent observation. Be nicer if we could just be happy with our own preferences and interest in life and let everyone else be happy with their's too!!!!

21. xmtgx macrumors regular

I go to far?

22. thatguysmells macrumors regular

+ 1. Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

23. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Because the technology is now an extension of your brain and is personal

Whats next?

Arguing who has the best brain chip implant?

No thanks! :eek:

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

LOL..no. It was a pretty funny post. But my mom is better then yours...sorry. :)