Why are people still doing contract upgrades with AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone7ate9, Sep 26, 2014.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

So it's like 300-400$ on AT&T up front with contract right? Plus upgrade fee?

Why not do Next, -$25 per line discount (as long as you're on 10gb shared plan), no fees up front.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Because the on-contract plan is cheaper overall for some plan configurations. AT&T iPhone 6 subsidized/contract starts at $199 + $40 upgrade fee and 6 Plus at $299 + $40 upgrade fee.

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-at-ts-new-pricing-plans-are-only-a-bargain-for-some/

3. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You still don't see the part where off-contract/Next is NOT ALWAYS cheaper OVERALL. The phone is only half the story. There is also the plan/contract that goes along with it. Unless you go prepaid.

5. nnacrumors, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Because the plan you are forced onto (Family Share) when going with NEXT is dog****!

Lets see for me shall we?

Current Plan:
    $50/mo for 550 min (w/ 15% employer discount)
    $10/mo for 2nd line
    $30/mo for unlimited data on line #1 (w/ 15% employer discount)
    $30/mo for unlimited data on line #2 (w/ 15% employer discount)
    $10/mo for phone upgrade ($200) plus upgrade fee ($40) on line #1 averaged over 24 months
    $10/mo for phone upgrade ($200) plus upgrade fee ($40) on line #2 averaged over 24 months

Total cost per month = $124 after discount

Try getting even near that monthly cost while on At&t NEXT :rolleyes:

Family Share Plan:
    $100/mo for 10GB (w/ 15% employer discount)
    $15/mo for line 1
    $15/mo for line 2
    $27/mo for phone #1
    $27/mo for phone #2

Total cost per month = $169 after discount :vomit:

P.S. no one in my house gives a damn about being forced to pay $45/mo extra for unlimited texting (iMessage or Google Voice) or unlimited minutes (Att Rollover or Google Hangouts) on the family share plan.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

This. I'm on the FamilyTalk 550 with rollover plan with my parents. We currently have ~5000 minutes rollover. We're about half or so into the bill cycle and we have only used <100 of those 550. So the point is no one really talks on the phone.

Texting? Pretty much same deal.

7. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

Why are people still doing contract upgrades with AT&T?

I used to pay 340 a month on 2 yr 5 devices

8160 over 2 yrs that's a lot
    Plus price of phone say 299.99 and 40 for activation.

I went to next and went to 165 a month. Now 6 devices I pay roughly 250 a month(2 on next)

Now 3960 over 24 months.

So now adding plus on next add another 35x24=840
    Plus tablet
    35x24=840

On 2 yr all included 8500

On next 5640 with 6 devices.

For me next works out just fine.

8. dkh587 macrumors regular

I don't want to pay full price for the phone

I am okay with a contract, because I am happy with my service, so I'm not going anywhere

An upgrade every two years is okay with me.

Oh yeah, I usually call AT&T and have them waive the upgrade fee for me :)

9. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Yeah, my family has 5 iPhones with a plan that they don't offer anymore (including two that still have unlimited data). They don't make it easy to understand all the ins and outs of these plans, so I'm still not totally sure but it seems like we're better off sticking with our grandfathered plan and buying phones on contract than using NEXT. Plus, I am more than a little suspicious about why AT&T is so eager to get people to switch to NEXT.

10. minimac macrumors member

Same here. If you are grandfathered into one of these unlimited data plans it makes sense. I was considering switching to tmobile to save some money but after running the numbers it was still cheaper to sign another 2 yr contract w/ At&t to get the subsidy and stay with our 550 minute family plan with unlimited data (and employer discount).

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sounds like you got sucked into a Next program.

12. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No why? I'm the one that chose to go on it, we're saving money now.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I will say this again in the hopes that you actually read and comprehend it this time. AT&T's Next plan works out to be cheaper FOR SOME PEOPLE. For me and my family, it's more expensive. For you, it's cheaper. For some people, it will be the same. Get it? It's not cheaper for every plan configuration. So people really do need to understand what is going on (it's downright confusing) and do some basic math and make sure it's cheaper for what they want/have before switching.

14. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

We extablished that like 10 posts ago.

15. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Because I still have unlimited data and want to keep it that way.

Next question?

16. jjp007 macrumors regular

jjp007

Exactly. Same for me. I have family sharing w my mom ..no smartphone. I have grandfathered unlimited data. I don't get the whole next details so I upgrade every year using my moms upgrade one year and mine the next. Works for me.

17. macher macrumors 65816

macher

The contract upgrade cost me $299 for a 64GB iPhone 6. We have a 4 line grandfathered family plan each with unlimited data. There is always a line eligible for full upgrade. So what I do is give my device to a line that's eligible for an upgrade and use their line which is eligible to upgrade at contract pricing if I want the latest and greatest.

18. pete480 macrumors regular

pete480

Because I have unlimited data and will never give that up.

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Why are people still FINANCING mobile phones with ATT?

($40 for 2gb + $40 smartphone + 12 taxes) *24mos = $2208
    $299 iphone + $48 taxes + $40 upgrade fee = $387
    Total $2595

Non contract without financing
    35/mo 1gb (no overage risk) tax inc. * 24mo = $840
    Iphone $750 + 48taxes = $798
    Total 1638

20. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

For one, because of Apple gift cards and trade ins..I recieved my iPhone 6 64gb for thirty-six dollars. Second, the bill is cheaper and depending on when and if I want to get out the contract early.. The ETF is much cheaper than paying for the rest of the phone :)

21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It seems like nobody even bothers to open links and read/comprehend the content.

It depends on your plan configuration. Sometimes it's cheaper to sign a 2-year contract + pay $199 (assuming iPhone 6 not Plus) + $40 upgrade fee. Other times it's cheaper to buy using Next. And so on.

22. supersalo macrumors 6502

supersalo

23. b1scu1t macrumors regular

There are quite a few people who find the shared value plan works best especially if there are multiple smart phones in the account. If on the mobile share plan, ATT Next works out better.

The unlimited talk/text is a useless upgrade for a lot of people, especially in light of iMessage/Whatsapp etc.. This is basically like the cable companies bundling a lot channels and give you a big fat bill. The mobile operators saw the writing on the wall and they just want you to pay for data. Keep in mind these guys still make a LOT of $. The cost of mobile services in this country is a rip off compared to most other western/g-7 nations save for Canada possibly.

I personally prefer to really pay for what I use and no more. I don't use much talk/text. Everybody in my family is on ATT so there is no charge in calling. Occasionally I send and receive texts and I pay as you go with it.

24. Hal~9000, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I assume you are talking about Cricket wireless so it would cost $35 per month for 1gb plan and $27 per month for the cheapest current generation iPhone.

Not bad for being contract free, if taxes and fees really are included in the $35 price? Surprised more people aren't going this route. It's probably because of the upfront cost of the phone and how a lot of people would rather pay a little upfront but more over time?

One great thing about going this route is if you are the type to keep your phone longer than 2-years then you really start to pile on the savings over the 2-year contract people since you would only be paying $35 per month while they are still paying $70 per month or more, albeit with a newer phone than you.

One risk though with month-to-month prepaid is that they can raise the price at any time since you aren't in a contract. ATT has a history of honoring grandfathered postpaid plans so you know, for the most part, the cost won't increase.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't need a 10GB line so why spend money on that. I don't feel like having my bill go up by 27 dollars a month for 2 years to pay off the iPhone (I know the net is less then 27 but either way my bill goes up).

I'm happy with the subsidized plan, it works for me and that's what its all about isn't it? One size does not fit all. What may work for you, doesn't work for me.