Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England
Please answer, I don't know why and don't understand why apple or a third party cant make the damn things smaller.
from what i understand they convert (in the uk, 240v ac to 12v dc)
why does this take such a bulky unit?
nick

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Please answer, I don't know why and don't understand why apple or a third party cant make the damn things smaller.
nick

The power brick has quite a lot of power being dissipated in it, and that's why it gets pretty warm while being used. If you made it smaller, it would heat up even worse, which the manufacturers try and avoid.

JNB

macrumors 604
nick

Because there's a transformer (240v to 12v, a 20:1 wind ratio), and a rectifier (AC to DC). Someone would have to chime in if the MBP unit (85W) is larger than the MB one (65W). The Apple power brick is about as small as you're going to get though individual dimensions may differ from unit to unit. Also, the quality of build will have some effect - it's expected to last far longer than the batteries it's recharging or the laptop it's powering.

You oughta see the monster that comes with my Dell!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I like how at least, Apple goes out of their way to make theirs attractive. They're so much nicer than pretty much anything I've ever seen outside of Apple.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
nick

Your kidding, right? Considering the wattage it delivers and the fact that it is universal voltage, the Apple power bricks are considerably smaller than most.

If you are curious, most power bricks are switched-mode power supplies.

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
Because there's a transformer (240v to 12v, a 20:1 wind ratio), and a rectifier (AC to DC). Someone would have to chime in if the MBP unit (85W) is larger than the MB one (65W).

Not quite so simple. See post above for the link to information of switching power supplies.

showtime

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
Yeah, apple's power brick is tiny compared to other manufacturers. In fact, I found it hard to believe when I first saw it. Why don't other manufacturers follow this design?

BlueArctos

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2007
You should see the power supply on my Alienware laptop. It physically weighs more than a brick... and it's larger.

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Hahah, you obviously havent seen the powerbricks of other brand laptops with the same specs. My HP pavilion laptop weighs in at over 8lbs, and the powerbrick of that weighs no less than 1.5lbs to be honest. Thats a mammoth of a power adapter.

The MBP and MB powerbricks that I have seen have one of the smallest form factor of all the power adapters around.

Nor*Cal

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
Irvine, CA
Atleast you only get one power brick, other laptops have 2 or even the powerbrick placed inside the laptop for that toasted feeling.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
Because there's a transformer (240v to 12v, a 20:1 wind ratio), and a rectifier (AC to DC). Someone would have to chime in if the MBP unit (85W) is larger than the MB one (65W). The Apple power brick is about as small as you're going to get though individual dimensions may differ from unit to unit. Also, the quality of build will have some effect - it's expected to last far longer than the batteries it's recharging or the laptop it's powering.

You oughta see the monster that comes with my Dell!

The MBP's unit is significantly larger than the MB's. I'd say it's almost twice as large.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm guessing that they can't make it much smaller because of the heat, they get quite hot while you are using them

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Hey, at least it's smaller than the one that comes with the XBox 360 (though that's not saying much). :p

Sopranino

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Apples powerbricks are the smallest units that exist in the laptop industry. (I've never seen any that are smaller)

They only get slightly warm, even when under high power loads.

I rather suspect that Apple has already made them as small as is physically possible.

Sopranino

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Your kidding, right? Considering the wattage it delivers and the fact that it is universal voltage, the Apple power bricks are considerably smaller than most.

If you are curious, most power bricks are switched-mode power supplies.

Seriously. I can't believe anyone's calling Apple's power bricks BIG. I seriously doubt you could make them any smaller. In fact I worry they go overboard on shrinking them.

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
Seriously. I can't believe anyone's calling Apple's power bricks BIG. I seriously doubt you could make them any smaller. In fact I worry they go overboard on shrinking them.

I absolutely agree with you. They're TINY! Plus, with the snap out pieces that let you wrap the wire around it, it's self contained and beautiful :)

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
New MBP bricks.

I had one of those, it was about the same size as an iPod one. The MBP one is much bigger.

Why are the new MBP bricks so much bigger? Do they really use that much more power to necessitate such a bigger power brick?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Actually the Apple bricks are pretty tiny and thoughtfully designed too.

I miss the yo-yo adapter though. I have one floating around somewhere, can't use it anymore. Loved the design, even though it wasn't as convenient as the current bricks.

Also don't the MBP bricks charge the MacBooks faster? Or something...they are cross-compatible, so...

The MB adapter is the same size as the iBook adapter. A nice square shape. MBP chargers are too big :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.