Why are ppl removing their cameras?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TommyLee, Oct 6, 2008.

1. TommyLee macrumors regular

2. markgamber macrumors 6502

Some businesses and government offices don't allow cameras of any kind. You either get a phone without a camera, get it removed or leave it at home. Since you can't get an iPhone without a camera, you can either get it removed or leave it at home.

3. stupendusboi macrumors member

Well i know some people work at companies that do not allow their employees to have cameras. Such as Boeing etc etc etc :)

4. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Why not?

5. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

In some court houses phones with cameras are prohibited. A camera can be used to, among other things, intimidate a witness.

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

The other people nailed it, but Since you mentioned iResQ, here is a quote directly from their site: "Many Government Agencies or High-Security Businesses will not allow cameras of any kind. Per customer demand we've created this service so you can have your iPhone camera physically removed from the iPhone by the professionals!"

7. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Question: Having your camera removed would probably void your warranty correct? Well what happens if you have to have it removed for business? I think Apple should have some leanency...

8. dranakin macrumors 6502

The reason behind the removal doesn't matter. Expect the removal company to provide warranty coverage or you're out of luck.

9. techdude13 macrumors 6502

techdude13

Sadly that doesn't exist...

See, it says right in the terms of service that when you open the phone and modify, change, or tamper with the device in any way, it immediately voids your warranty.

Basically you have 2 options:
    1) Get the camera removed but void your warranty, or
    2) Just don't get an iphone ( I dont like this option, but it still exists.)

So yup.

John

10. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

It says on iResQ's site that the backplate replacement will void the warranty, however it says nothing about the warranty being void from camera removal.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I wonder if they give a custom back with no camera hole?

Some agencies will not allow any phone that EVER had a camera, even if the lens hole is epoxied over.

12. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

If you put the camera back in, Apple probably wouldn't notice, provided you did it right.

What I am really wondering is that would they remove the option to start the camera even on the iPhone's firmware.

13. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Nah. I don't think so. What I wonder what happens when it opens the Camera app. Does it crash?

14. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Why not just use parental controls and block access to the camera? This was a feature added in 2.1

15. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

+1 to the posts for security and other reasons.
    Depending on the site your camera phone will either;
    1. remain locked in your car for the duration of the visit
    2. remain locked in a 'secure area' (guards desk/locker) for the duration of the visit

Get caught violating those terms and its not pretty, losing ones security clearance and or going to jail is NOT a good career move.

You can order Palms and BlackBerry`s san camera. Some sites wont permit cell phones at all because of voice recording:eek: let alone the camera.

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

For most places that prohibit cameras, that isn't enough. If the camera is present, it's not allowed.

17. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Because they simply won't permit a cellphone with a camera. They see you as a threat. It's not logical to simply use Parental Controls.

18. firewood macrumors 604

Not allowed. The uneducated armed guards have no idea if any block is really enabled and whether or not it can be easily undone by somebody. Better to leave the camera in the car unless you want it confiscated and destroyed (or lose your job, etc.) But then you have to worry about someone breaking into your car and stealing it.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

How do you prove to security that the camera is actually removed from your iPhone?

20. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Solution, hire smarter security guards :D

21. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

The only shot would be if Apple ever offered a camera-less version of the iPhone. It's HIGHLY unlikely. Usually carriers will pick up 1-2 smartphones without cameras, but you need to order them special from the carrier, and they don't generally stock them at the local store. The exception is the handful of blackberries that are stock camera-less models.

IIRC, Verizon had a camera-less 700p, and AT&T had a few...the 8125 and the 8525 had other versions with slightly different numbering to indicate they were camera-less.

Honestly, the market for camera-less phones in general is so small it is probably cheaper and easier for Apple to shrug and say "Oh well, that's what the iPod Touch is for. Buy a regular phone and an iPod touch...and don't come crying to us if you **** up your iPhone because you HAD to modify it."

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    You can't. Which is why I said that some places won't allow any phone that EVER had a camera. There have been instances of people removing a cover and being able to photograph things again.

23. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

I have been very close to the F22 Raptor(within a few feet) and if you made a move to pull your phone up in a way to take a picture you would have guards all over you.

I'm sure pictures have been taken before but its not worth losing your job or worse, going to jail.

24. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

It's not just cameras, either. You'll have a lot of problems getting anything that has a USB connector into high security buildings. They don't want you plugging your ipod into a machine and downloading sensitive info.

My father-in-law worked at a defense contractor and had 2 computers on his desk connected to 2 completely separate networks. One computer was a normal PC for non-secure use. The other was a secure computer that had no USB ports, no floppy drive and no optical drive. The only way to get any data off of that system was to read the screen and type what you saw into the non-secure machine.

25. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Coversely, you could buy a phone that doesn't violate specific rules or laws applicable to you.