Why Are Previous CTO Orders Now In Stock To Ship? ("Customize To Order").

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Questtt3, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Questtt3 macrumors newbie

I purchased a 13" MBP CTO recently (customize-to-order: 3 GHz i7, 16GB, 512GB) and it took several days to build and then several more to ship from China. Unfortunately this MBP had some issues and I was told to return and re-order.

Now when I go to the online Apple store this same build shows as being "In Stock" and available to ship to me (or Apple store).

Why this change?

Is there any chance these might be new-open box returns ("buyers remorse" returns) or mildly re-furbished systems they are clearing out during a busy holiday time? (Can they do this . . . can it happen that one could receive a MBP that was not built new from start to finish?).

or . . .

Possible they are building large numbers of all possible configurations in advance to try to clear out old parts/inventory because a new (Broadwell) MBP is set to release very soon?

or . . . some other reason . . . (Is there any significance beyond not merely trying to have quick inventory for holiday season).

Why the change?

Thanks!

2. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

I had the same question and ask Apple via chat. Apple rep told me that they normally have preconfigured machines already (possible configs) and then it is just matter of "assembling" those parts together (like adding hdd or memory). They don't actually manufacture CTO from scratch when they get the order.