Why are reflections a good thing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Phrasikleia, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

It seems as though most of the discussion involving glossy vs. matte has gone in circles about color saturation, contrast, the ability to move a laptop, the rigidity of glass, lighting in the room, performance outdoors, etc.

But the one thing nobody has explained is why reflections themselves are a good thing to have on a laptop screen. I remember when CRT monitors went from being bulbous to more "flat" and the industry crowed about how these new flatter CRTs would have fewer reflections. So at least back then reflections were viewed as a negative.

So can someone please tell me why reflections are desirable and not an unfortunate side effect?

(I tried to get into this question in another thread, but perhaps I didn't frame the issue properly there.)

Thanks.

2. marvel2 macrumors 6502

Its simple, reflections are not a good thing when using a notebook. Who wants to see a reflection of themself when trying to do some work on their laptop?

3. jTreu macrumors 6502

who says reflections are a good thing? I think people just put up with them for the sharper colors and contrast.

4. Dias macrumors 6502

Because they reflect light instead of absorbing it, which translates in better colors. It's annoying side effect, ok, but since it's a laptop you can always change your position (improving color on Matte screen is not as easy).

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Maybe you haven't seen that cellphone ad where the guy is checking out the girl via the reflection on his phone. The MB/MBPs just give you that much more to look at. I'd say that's a pretty desirable side effect :D

Seriously, I'm not a huge fan of the glossy, but their is anti-glare film, and it does work. Learn to accept it or you'll still be using a Spring 2008 MBP in 2018.

6. richardsim7 macrumors regular

richardsim7

The vein :p

-Rich-

7. nauthiz macrumors newbie

Reflections are not good. People keep saying that the bright screen makes up for this, but what happens when you're looking at a dark image? Would you rather look at the Mona Lisa under a piece of reflective glass or a clear matte plastic/glass. Here's a thought how about I put a giant window pane in front of the screen at a movie theater?

I know this is MacRumors but there are far to many Apple apologists here. This is Apple, the BMW of computers, not some feature dropping one size fits all computer maker. What happened to the time when apple's pro line never skimped on features. They used to lead the way in terms of innovation each refresh got better but lately they have stalled, this latest refresh has even seen features dropped. Thats not the apple I know. I used to love apples product updates, now I loath them. To much time on the iPhone I guess. (Dont get me wrong I love my iPhone but I love my Mac more)

8. Taal macrumors newbie

No, I won't be using an Apple laptop nor an Apple display by then since I rely on colour and display accuracy for print work all the through my workflow. Which sadly a glossy screen cannot offer me!

9. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Is this true? Is color inherently linked to reflection? Can any optical experts out there verify that we can't have the best of both worlds (i.e. no reflections but still better colors)?

If what you're saying is true, then the parts of your screen that are reflecting something in the room--let's say a white shirt you're wearing, for example--are giving better color than the parts of the screen that aren't reflecting anything in the room. So the best color is the part you see behind the reflection of yourself?

10. nauthiz macrumors newbie

Sorry but when the image on the display is dark (film noir style) you are going to see yourself no matter what direction you move your laptop. I would like to avoid sitting in a pitch black room with a ski mask on in order to see a clear image. And what is so nice about having great colors if I cant see them clearly?

11. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

So far 16 people in the poll have voted that they're a good thing and that there is no need for Apple to innovate a glass screen that doesn't produce reflections. Perhaps they misunderstood the question, but if not, I'm curious to know what the benefits are. If there are no benefits, then I think Apple needs to come up with a new kind of glass or else revert to the basic matte option.

12. andrewsd macrumors 6502

agree

;)(Dont get me wrong I love my iPhone but I love my Mac more)
    Today 03:09 PM
    richardsim7 Quote:

agree agreeeeee

13. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

No innovation is required - matte screens and a variety of coatings for glass have been around since the early 1940s.

14. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Reflections are good

Reflections help prevent that there's no vampire sitting with you at the computer. That's a good thing. :p

15. cube macrumors G4

You misunderstood the answer. "reflections are desirable" for people that like shiny gadgets.

16. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sorry.. but i absolutely hate reflections, if not of myself, then room i'm sitting in. I some think the designers at apple forgot to wear contacts or jamjars the day the screens we're tested.

17. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Eh, so that you'll see the ninjas trying to sneak behind you?

18. hithere macrumors member

hithere

I don't know if glossy is better or worse for "technical" reasons (like color or image quality) and I don't care because I do maths and not graphics.

I went to the Apple store and I have the impression that Apple overdid it with the shine effect. It is really disturbing.

So, I will have to wait to replace my 2006 MBP with a new one, until:

1) either Apple find a way to reduce the glare of their screens
    2) a third-party solution (probably a film) comes up and reveals to be reliable, nice and trustworthy

By the way: apart from the screen, I think the new MB's and MBP's are superb.

19. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

That is such a crock. If you are a true professional you are not relying on the color of a laptop screen or even the Apple ADC monitor. Neither are true professional grade.

20. Dias macrumors 6502

This photo explain pros/cons of glossy/matte. Glossy have better color by reflecting incoming light, matte have no reflection because it's absorbing all light (=less saturation):

[​IMG]

21. cube macrumors G4

You do know that transflective screens exist, at least in small sizes, don't you? (which are purported to help using PDAs and digicams in the sun).

22. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I don't think that reflections are all that good at all. But I think that some people value the pros of having a glossy screen (colors, etc.) greater than the cons of having one (reflections). I personally do not mind the reflections, but then again, I didn't have a choice with my computer (late-2007 MacBook), so I kind of grew into it. I just can't come up with any reasons as to why one would like the reflections, in my eyes they are the only con as to a glossy display (although they are the cause of a few other issues). But 90% of the time, my computer screen doesn't have any reflections.

23. Dias macrumors 6502

So you want MacBookPro in PDA size?

24. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Why do you have to be so damn negative? Go enjoy your glossy, shiny computer, but don't tell others what works for them, thanks! Or learn how to express yourself with a bit more tact. I get really tired of all the folks here who can't find a way to disagree with someone without acting like they know everything and resort to labeling someone else's sincere comment a "crock" or somesuch term. Now... if someone is being rude, then it's okay to call it a "crock" but I don't think Taal was being rude. So please lighten up. You don't know if he's a "true professional" or not. Are you a true professional? In what? If you don't mind demonstrating your professional expertise, that might help a bit...

25. nishishei macrumors regular

Misleading example. My matte MBP doesn't look at all washed out like that with strong back lighting. Particularly if the color profile is optimized (Apple gamma is more washed out to start with).