Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Why are sales are all way down from TV manufactures, smartphones, computers, tablets and entertainment systems are all way down.

Yes even Microsoft and Apple are not doing well.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Everything is too expensive due to consolidation and greedflation from megacorps

Smart people are tired of getting fleeced and I applaud folks for speaking with their wallets

Also, at least for Apple (since we are on MR), the product lines are just mostly non innovative right now. They have been totally coasting in terms of actual innovation and investment (especially on software)

Best thing that could have happened for Apple just did ... Microsoft getting it together on hardware and ARM and posing viable threats in a few areas now and moving forward.

Apple is at its best when challenged.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I think it's complicated. First, the economy (despite what some factions would have us believe) is in the toilet. People are watching every dime right now.

TVs and Entertainment systems are hard to justify when there has been absolutely nothing new in nearly a decade beyond the size of the screen and resolution.

Smartphones and computers have gotten to the point where they're so good that the "average consumer" can get 8 to 10 years of use out of them, "prosumers" have more than they need as far as power and functionality and can keep a device for 5 to 6 years, and "pros" spend enough that they need to be blown out of the water with things that simply aren't in the cards very often.

In short, the tech-using world as a whole just doesn't have the need or is being impressed enough to warrant spending money on "updates" the way they used to. We want major upgrades and earth-shattering new features... and those things simply don't exist with regular frequency anymore.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
I think we had very high consumer electronics purchasing during the pandemic... computer monitors, new TV's, computers, keyboard/mice, all that stuff sold in very high number. We're sort of packed to the gills with that stuff and now we can get outside and we aren't buying that stuff in such large numbers any longer.

styymy

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
USA
I have plenty of tv's and computers at my house. I don't see the need in buying anymore unless something dies. Many people don't even park their cars in their garages anymore because they use it for storage. Some of us have way too much stuff as it is.

bradman83

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
The Covid pandemic introduced a super-cycle upgrade in 2020-2021. Countless people upgraded their computers, devices, home entertainment, video games. All of those users are still good. They don't need new equipment. It won't be until 2025-2026 that these people start re-entering the market.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate western NY now.
Why are sales are all way down from TV manufactures, smartphones, computers, tablets and entertainment systems are all way down.

Yes even Microsoft and Apple are not doing well.
Because disposable income is diminishing these days. Cost of basic groceries in real terms are up by at least 30%, one world order one world price of goods. 🤣

Reactions: I7guy

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
Everything is too expensive due to consolidation and greedflation from megacorps

Smart people are tired of getting fleeced and I applaud folks for speaking with their wallets

Also, at least for Apple (since we are on MR), the product lines are just mostly non innovative right now. They have been totally coasting in terms of actual innovation and investment (especially on software)

Best thing that could have happened for Apple just did ... Microsoft getting it together on hardware and ARM and posing viable threats in a few areas now and moving forward.

Apple is at its best when challenged.

You can thank Tim Cook for Apple's complete lack of innovation.

• Haha
Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.