Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2014
I just can't find the logic in a smaller rumoured air. When we finaly have the technology to go big in screen size while keeping the weight down, the screen size goes down to unacceptable 12 inch. By now we should have 17" notebooks with a 15 inch size frame. No borders.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I just can't find the logic in a smaller rumoured air. When we finalt have the technology to go big in screen size while keeping the weight down, the screen size goes down to unacceptable 12 inch. By now we should have 17" notebooks with a 15 inch size frame. No borders.

Because it's an Air. A 15" or even a 17-inch wouldn't exactly be a MBA. Apple is also making sacrifices with the design of the machine that they wouldn't do on the Pro models.

A 12-inch laptop is actually quite acceptable.

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
Air is for those that want portability. 17" is simply too big to carry around, 15" is a little too big.

12" is because many are suspecting that the rumored rMBA will be a different line from the current MBAs, just like how MBP has non-retina and retina version. Apple will probably have to differentiate between different models.

We don't know yet if this is true, though. We'll see soon.

nksk

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2014
I'm not sure I agree about 17" being a good choice, but there's definitely room for something that would replace the current 13" model.

I'm kinda suspecting the reason might be that fanless graphics performance isn't quite there yet, so they'll start with the 12" model now and then reintroduce the bigger one in 1-2 years. (And, of course, that way they'll get my money twice ;) )

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
As I and others are saying, it's an "Air!"

Steve Jobs introduced the concept by pulling the first Air out of an envelope and Apple has stayed true to the concept from the beginning. The reason a smaller format is used is for portability, not just light weight.

I and many others would not be able to use a 17" screen device on an airplane, a coffee shop or any other area where space is a premium. There might come a day for the light weight 17" Pro version but not an "Air."

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
This shouldn't be requested to an Air since it's for good portability. But I don't see why we couldn't see a rMBP with narrow bezels. For those who say the bezels are to concentrate on the screen, I have a Philips 23" monitor with 1cm bezel (for its size, it looks narrow) and it's amazing, not to say I don't get distracted. The only bezels that should be big are in tablets so you have enough space to hold them with your fingers, but the ones in Macs are bigger than needed. So a 17" in a 15" form factor would be great

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I just can't find the logic in a smaller rumoured air. When we finaly have the technology to go big in screen size while keeping the weight down, the screen size goes down to unacceptable 12 inch. By now we should have 17" notebooks with a 15 inch size frame. No borders.

Why stop at only 17 inches? Why aren't we carrying around super-thin laptops with 55 inch screens? We have the technology.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012

Maybe they are going for a 12" screen in the shell of a 10" frame? Maybe just about a full size iPad size. Just because we have thinner bezels does not mean that the benefits have to go to a 17" system.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
...the screen size goes down to unacceptable 12 inch. By now we should have 17" notebooks with a 15 inch size frame.

Because your "perfect" usage pattern isn't my "perfect usage" pattern?

Because Apple sells a broad range of machines to meet a broad range of customers?

You like 15" screens? Apple sells a model for you, but I would never buy it.

I like the MBA11 size. It is perfect, very portable, easy to take on travel, fits easily in my carry-on. My job foists a 15" Dell on me to travel with. I hate it, it is so huge and heavy, requires a separate laptop case to transport.

"Unacceptable 12""????

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
I just can't find the logic in a smaller rumoured air. When we finally have the technology to go big in screen size while keeping the weight down, the screen size goes down to unacceptable 12 inch. By now we should have 17" notebooks with a 15 inch size frame. No borders.

To me, 17" is "unacceptable", even if it's paper thin. I love the form factor of my MBA 11", and I'm eargerly waiting for the 12" MBA because I believe it will not be any bigger than that.

That goes to show that everyone is different, what is unacceptable for someone is mandatory for someone else. That's why you can find laptops ranging from 10" to 15". Whatever your choice, you will have to sacrifice something. Portability on the bigger ones, screen real estate and performance on the ultra ones. Unfortunately for you, manufacturers choose to go with what the majority of users want (or push the users to want what's cheaper to manufacture - hence the horrendous shiny screens we've been suffering through for years).

The MBA is all about mobility, that's the world we live in now, and it won't get bigger, and it's not a question of technology.

Why isn't there 17" laptops lefts ? I imagine, because - for most people - the trade-in in mobility and portability isn't worth the extra screen. Because most of them stay on a desk, and smaller ones are powerful enough to power external monitors. And external monitors are incredibly cheap, these days. They're the ones that are getting bigger. The advance in technology means smaller screens can offer the same real estate as bigger ones used to, which was the main reason for 17" laptops.

I sold my 15" rMBA to get an iMac for just this reason. It was too big and I was using it as a desktop replacement (which is a damn shame for a retina machine).

Besides, a 17" laptop with the thinness of the air ? That would probably make the whole machine very fragile.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Try working with a 17" (or even 15") laptop in an economy seat on an airplane. :p It's all about portability. I find the 11" Air perfect for travel, but would appreciate if they could maximize the screen size by minimizing the bezel.

nerdAFK

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2014
FYI
it's 12.5"

jihong

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2009
I TOTALLY agree with the original poster. Why CAN'T the technology be placed in the current macbook air line? There's no reason we can't have a 13" or 15" macbook air with a retina display and the same technology.

For those of you arguing that 13, 15, or 17 inch models are unnecessary or don't need that kind of tech, that's your personal decision. But for those of us who WANT a 13, 15 or 17 inch mac laptop that is also thin, lightweight, with great specs feel cheated.

I personally just want a 13" air with a retina display. WHY DON'T THEY ADD THAT FEATURE?? Utterly ridiculous. Eventually, they'll phase out the macbook pro lines because they'll become thinner and lighter as new generations come out, so why not start integrating that stuff into the current air models now? Freaking frustrating...woosah....

mouthster

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
I know I'm in the minority but I would love a 17" MacBook Air as my "desktop" machine.

I work from home and even though I have a desktop with two monitors I do most work on my MacBook Air because..

A.) I don't like to be confined to the home office and it's desk - other rooms are nice.

B.) I prefer using the keyboard/trackpad combo vs keyboard/mouse.

So it would probably never leave the house, but the ability to use a larger screen anywhere in the house and on my lap would be pretty cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.