Why are so many basic features missing?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Fazzl, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

I'm getting frustrated with lion. Why can't it perform such basic features such as scrolling forward and backward between pages and pinch to resize icons like in all other OS X before it.

It is default for 2 finger swipe in safari to go back/forward but this doesn't work in finder. So to get it to work, you have to change it to 3 finger swipe, but then in safari it doesn't have that animation where it pulls the pages like it does with 2 finger swipe.

And in safari, it doesn't download items anymore, when I click a download, it tries to open the file instead of downloading it. wtf. I have to option click to download the file.

Arghhhhh

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Do you have the "Open safe files after downloading" checkbox selected? If so turn it off.

B

3. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

No i don't, what i mean is if I click on an mp3 for example, it will just open a new page and the url bar will instead be like a download bar, like it is opening or downloading the file temporarily but it doesn't actually save it to the folder unless i right click and press download file to desktop.

4. stillmatic macrumors member

If you'd like to be able to use both 2-finger and 3-finger swipe in Safari, do this:

System Preferences -> Trackpad -> More Gestures

First, make sure Mission Control, App Expose, and Swipe between full-screen apps are NOT utilizing the 3-finger gestures. (e.g. set those 3 to use 4-finger.)

Then, for the first option, Swipe Between Pages, you'll see a new option in the drop down that says "Swipe with two or three fingers".

5. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

Ya, thats how it comes standard, but then you cannot swipe to go forward/backward in finder.

6. stillmatic macrumors member

No you can, I just tried it.

Try doing 3-finger swipe for Finder.

7. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

It's not working for me. This what my settings look like:

[​IMG]

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Safari in SL did this as well, at least for me.

9. stillmatic macrumors member

Our setup on that tab is exactly the same. Try this, go to the first tab, Point & Click, and uncheck 'Three finger drag'

If it's already checked and still not working for you, go ahead and download BetterTouchTool (you should have this regardless, excellent app) and you can easily set up whatever gesture you like for Finder specifically.

10. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

That is already unchecked. This is giving me such a headache. Swipe doesn't work in iTunes either. It only works if I do the 3 finger swipe but that doesn't give the pull page animation and is annoying. I may have to just reinstall lion.

11. stillmatic macrumors member

Ohh, you wanted the 2-finger full-page animation? I believe that's only for apps like Safari, iBooks, etc. Doubt it works on every single app. 3-finger swipe would make sense for iTunes, Finder, etc. in my opinion.

Check out BetterTouchTool though, you might find that it'll fix your problem and also make your life a lot easier setting up new gestures.

For ex. I really like Three Finger Swipe Down to do CMD+Q to quickly close apps.

12. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

I can't get that to work properly.

All i want is the standard swipe back/forward to work in all applications, regardless of number of fingers.

With that app, it removes the safari animation so I'm back where I started.

13. stevemiller macrumors 65816

here's the stupid part: when you have the "two or three fingers" option to swipe between pages, 2 fingers slides to the previous content with "natural" scrolling, while 3 fingers does the "old" swiping direction.

and of course in finder only the 3 finger method works, so even if you embrace the new natural scrolling, you still have to be able to mentally switch directions depending on what app you're using. to me that is *terrible* UI design.

thank god for bettertouchtool to save us ;)

14. stillmatic macrumors member

Do something like this. In the first thumbnail, on the left side I added Safari, and I set Two Finger Swipe Left to "Apple default"

Then, in the second thumbnail, on the left side in Global, I temporarily added Two Finger Swipe Left to Open Finder. Now, anytime I do Two Finger Swipe Left in any app not named Safari, it will open Finder. And in Safari, it'll do the swipe.

Hope that clears things up and fixes your problem.

Attached Files:

15. seetheforest macrumors member

I completely agree. I will try bettertouchtool to see if it can help me with the 2/3 finger problem.