Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
Computers have plateaued a long time ago. If you don't do heavy tasks, with enough RAM and an SSD, even a 10-year's old machine is just fine today.
I completely agree with this. I replaced a 2011 MBP with my current M1 MBA. I previously used the MBP only occasionally and for web browsing and word it was totally fine. It booted up quite quickly on High Sierra as I specced with an SSD from new. I only replaced it when I inadvertently broke it re-doing the thermal paste.

I'll be keeping this M1 MBA for at least the same length of time without replacing it.

wintertale

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2023
I completely agree with this. I replaced a 2011 MBP with my current M1 MBA. I previously used the MBP only occasionally and for web browsing and word it was totally fine. It booted up quite quickly on High Sierra as I specced with an SSD from new. I only replaced it when I inadvertently broke it re-doing the thermal paste.

I'll be keeping this M1 MBA for at least the same length of time without replacing it.

Yes, your M1 MacBook Air will probably last beyond 2040 if you take good care of it.

• Haha
Reactions: twanj

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
Yes, your M1 MacBook Air will probably last beyond 2040 if you take good care of it.
I think I'll have long upgraded by then! Haha.

My M1 MBA gets used a lot more than would have previously as I am now studying and using it virtually every day.

To be honest, I am probably going to go Windows for my next laptop as I like the look of the Surface laptops.

wintertale

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2023
I think I'll have long upgraded by then! Haha.

My M1 MBA gets used a lot more than would have previously as I am now studying and using it virtually every day.

To be honest, I am probably going to go Windows for my next laptop as I like the look of the Surface laptops.

That's great, but be careful with new Windows laptops. Microsoft's products are getting very slow and bloated.

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
Linux available on M1 Macs: https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Apple/M1

Don't worry, more Linux distros will be available on Apple Silicon Macs.
Soon Apple's "green" planned obsolescence for Macs will no longer work.
I've been following this a bit, and I'm hoping we get Ubuntu/Fedora on bare metal in a few years. There's still plenty work to be done, though.

If Apple is as "green" as they say they are, they should open-source the hardware once they no longer support it, so the community can more easily do their work.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
see:
Screen Shot 2023-12-06 at 2.56.12 PM.png

kiddk1

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2009
because some of us cant afford a 3-4k laptop, I am currently using a 2015 MB Pro retina but will be upgrading to a 2019 due to cost

Reactions: trusso

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Because they work. 2012 is fine for:

- writing papers
- checking email
- streaming music
- web browsing
- video conferencing

That’s all that half of the people in the coffee shop are doing anyway.

Of course it also depends what people can / are willing to spend on a laptop in that particular area. You won’t see as many outdated machines where there is more disposable income. I’d even say the average financial situation of students at a college can be inferred by observing the type and age of laptops used on campus.

Last edited:

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
My 2017 Air has the backlit Apple logo and is still a great little laptop for e-mails and web browsing. I still use it almost daily but must admit it was replaced with a Think Pad (less $ / More RAM and can run programs needed).
Thought the backlit logo stopped after 2015 for MBA? What's the model #?

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
I walk the streets and see them in cafe's and the parks. I see so many people with MacBooks from 2012 that have the light in the back with a out of day OS yet they are using an iPhone 14 or newer. I just don't understand why they don't at least upgrade to a M1 MacBook Air for $800. If they can afford a new iPhone they can afford to update there out of date, insecure laptop.
I have a better question. Why are so many people bothering to reply to such a juvenile question?:)

Last edited:

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Mac computers are expensive, particularly outside of the US. If an older Mac is still functioning well, why replace it?

Also, the Macs, especially during the Steve Jobs era, and before the introduction of the butterfly keyboard + touchbar Macs, were built like tanks and worked very reliably. Hence, many people still keep using the older Macs; they were just superior products before Apple got influenced by the iPhone design and build aesthetic and brought it over to the Mac, with disastrous results.

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
Mac computers are expensive, particularly outside of the US. If an older Mac is still functioning well, why replace it?

Also, the Macs, especially during the Steve Jobs era, and before the introduction of the butterfly keyboard + touchbar Macs, were built like tanks and worked very reliably. Hence, many people still keep using the older Macs; they were just superior products before Apple got influenced by the iPhone design and build aesthetic and brought it over to the Mac, with disastrous results.
Very true about the build quality.

However, I think the build quality is back now they've gone over to M Series CPU's. My M1 MBA seems to be built as well as the 2010-15 Mac's.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Yorkieray

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2020
Leeds UK
I saw a guy in Starbucks here in the UK 2 weeks ago with a MacBook that was white and plastic. How old was that?
My aunt still has her 2012 unibody MBP, though she much prefers to use her Android phone.
I’m still occasionally using my late 2013 Retina MBP mainly to boot Windows 10 for a couple of Win only apps for my amateur/ham radio.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
I saw a guy in Starbucks here in the UK 2 weeks ago with a MacBook that was white and plastic. How old was that?
My aunt still has her 2012 unibody MBP, though she much prefers to use her Android phone.
I’m still occasionally using my late 2013 Retina MBP mainly to boot Windows 10 for a couple of Win only apps for my amateur/ham radio.
Probably 14-15 years old! If it still works…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.