General Why are some new JB tweaks only iOS6+

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rak007, Apr 27, 2013.

1. rak007 macrumors 6502a

I am using an iPhone 4S iOS 5.1.1
    I went to download the NotesTweak and found out that it is only iOS 6 compatible.
    Not complaining or anything but want to ask why some of the new tweaks are iOS 6 only ? I mean what might be restricting them to not work with iOS 5.1.1 ? Because iOS 5.1.1 was i believe one of the most stable versions of iOS before iOS 6 came by and almost all the tweaks are compatible with iOS 5.1.1

2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Frameworks/routines that the developer is using probably changed in iOS 6. Beside that, I don't think there would be any reason for the developer to not support previous iOS versions.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

For the same reason some apps in iTunes require iOS6 for certain functionality.

4. Mdkcheatz macrumors newbie

Mdkcheatz

And the same reason why PC applications are not all cross compatible with all Windows OS systems.

5. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Since the notes app in iOS 5 & 6 are different i'd venture a guess that the tweak would have to be completely redesigned to work with iOS 5.

6. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

Why would you still use an iPhone 4S iOS 5.1.1?

7. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

To be able to re-restore if something goes wrong myabe?

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Software wise, latest !always= best.

9. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Not necessarily…some apps loose functionality in new releases, the dev might fix that or not, depends on your needs.

10. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

not always, in terms of bug fixes, yes, I can agree with you. Look at iOS 6, iOS 6.1 took away background video/audio

11. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

That's a good point indeed but yet I prefer having the latest jailbroken ios version since I only install a few things and keep it as clean as possible.

12. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Yes, it a personal choice, others choose to stay on 5.1.1 or were too late..

13. regkilla macrumors 6502

regkilla

Should have updated to iOS 6 when you had the chance. Stop complaining.

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes, the OP is now stuck because he can't upgrade unless he goes to the latest and that can't be jailbroken yet.

15. Mdkcheatz macrumors newbie

Mdkcheatz

Software-wise, usually this is true. Firmware-wise which is what iOS is, not specifically considered "software" the way you are using in context.

With iOS, each update of firmware yields potential benefits (notice how I said potential) as well as security patches galore. (which also includes patches against beneficial hacks as well.)

I am also running iOS 5.1.1 because there are some really cool exploits which have been patched over (never to be exploited again) on all later versions.

If this makes little sense to you, you'll learn the hard way. Update you knowledge of what firmware is all about...

P.S. about upgrading. If you are lucky like me you can use your SHSH Blobs (which I still have saved) to update and downgrade to any iOS 5.x-6.x :p

16. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Only if the blobs are saved manually for 6.x.x

17. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Which might equate to being LAZY ! :eek:

18. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

yep, only 2 minutes to save them manually

19. Mdkcheatz macrumors newbie

Mdkcheatz

Two minutes too many. You just use cydia to save them with each update. You don't even need to upgrade the firmware as you can only save them per latest version. For me I saved mine at 5.1.1 and then again at 6.1.3 (I dont care about the in between versions).

Takes literally 6 seconds to go in and save them. Why Cydia cant just do this automatically for forgetful people IDK!

20. Brian Y macrumors 68040

You replied to a 3 month old thread to be patronising?

You need to learn the difference between firmware and software mate - not me.

21. Mdkcheatz macrumors newbie

Mdkcheatz

3 months, 2 years, 1 day... A thread containing misleading information is still misleading. You seemed to have missed the point of a forum system. Information posted is open to reveal when it is sought. (hence the purpose of the search tool)

Now since you felt ambitious enough to defend your territory, let me scrutinize your accusations. Firstly, you feeling like I patronized you is merely the assumption that I was trying to belittle you (perhaps to make myself seem better). You know what they say about assumptions :p

Now while I made my point, I can still remain on topic. So bringing up my point to debunk yours about "later = better," this kind of statement is purely an opinion that seems to have held true with your needs and purposes. However, myself having experienced negative side effects to later versions of software (more specifically firmware and other operating system components) know that in many situations, your statement is not always the case.

Again Bryan, this is not meant to demote your credibility here and I'm sorry you felt that way to begin with.

22. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Then, if you re-read my statement which you so eloquently backed, you will see the !. I said "! later = better". In the programming world, that means "not later = better". ! means not - i.e. a negation.

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you read Saurick's documentation on the subject, you'll see how Cydia does this. The Cydia servers used to automatically save the SHSH blobs. But around the time of iOS 4.1, Apple blocked that IP address. Hence why you can't restore to the current firmware version through Cydia's servers. Saurick changed how it worked so that the Cydia app on the iDevice ran the query. This distributed the requests to make Apple's blocking ineffective. If the end user never open Cydia while Apple was signing the firmware, Cydia won't have that version's SHSH blobs. With iOS 6.0-6.1.2, the Cydia app didn't get the complete SHSH blob, making them useless for all devices. In summation, Cydia does still get them automatically, it just needs to be launched once in a while.

24. Mdkcheatz macrumors newbie

Mdkcheatz

You're right. I completely missed that-just flew way over my head.

Ultimate Facepalm to me for having argued the same point you made.

And maybe just a regular facepalm to you for taking so long to pull me up on the fact that I was basically arguing a point you were making too.

PS, as you can see I misspelled your name earlier. I'm clearly too rushed to always catch every bit of detail.

--

Intell,

Thanks for the update, I do not closely follow Cydia technicalities but this has explained a couple of things.