Why are some PowerPC's like this?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Intelligent, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

How come that for example, on a Power Mac G5 when you start it and hold alt, it looks like it did in Mac OS 9, but the actual computer war released 2004 (The model i have) When OS 9 was long gone, and OS X had been out for 3 years, same thing when you don't have a hd it shows the Mac OS 9 Folder Icon with the old Finder icon too. Does this have something to do with the ROM? Im just wondering why they didn't bother updating it.

2. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

The reason is Power PC "BIOS" = Open Firmware. I don't know from which PowerPC Macs started using Open Firmware, but all of them have almost exactly the same boot drive selection menu.

After Intel switch Macs have Extensible Firmware Interface = EFI, boot selection menu looks much nicer since then.

Open Firmware boot menu
    [​IMG]

EFI boot menu
    [​IMG]

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's because PowerPC Macs use OpenFirmware. It was last largely overhauled in the late 1990's with the NewWorld ROM transition. Over time, Apple just added support for the new machines' hardware without redoing the whole thing.

4. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

I guess that with the release of the flat OS X Apple will redo the EFI menu to look more like like the top screenshot, but with added pastel and neon.

5. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Wouldn't be surprised. Man, those OS 10.10 (which really doesn't make sense, it would just be 10.1 again) concepts are scaring me! They don't look the best. :rolleyes:

6. Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Os 10.10 would not be 10.1. System versions are not decimals.

7. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

:facepalm: Nevermind.

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Concepts are concepts and shouldn't be taken seriously. Stop looking at them, and only take action when Apple themselves try and give it to you.

Whatever you do, don't let the design world push you into believing that something is fact.

If you read the interviews, you'll know that the combining of iOS and OS X is not something Apple wants to do. They'll bring elements in, as they're useful, but they won't merge them completely.

Take something like the new iWork and iLife icons and let that guide you to the direction they're going with the desktop.

9. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

I don't think Apple will deviate much from the flat/neon aesthetic.

I wouldn't be surprised to see iOS and OS X merged.

Remember the iPad mini debacle?

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yeah, I do. The whole argument was that 7" tablets didn't work. And they still don't (I know, because I had the first generation Kindle Fire, the extra space matters because it works better in various situations). Hence the iPad Mini is bigger, and why people are starting to make similar sized tablets like it.

11. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yep. Wait till 10.10.10 comes out, we can call it Mac XXX.

----------

With iDevices becoming more and more like a desktop in terms of performance, I can see apple going with one universal OS, uOS.

12. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I heard from somewhere that some design elements from iOS 7 will appear in 10.10, but not many.