Why are some programs more than just an icon?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EB66, Apr 19, 2008.

1. EB66 macrumors 6502

I am a neat freak on my computer and most program I download and install are just an icon (i know that there is more to them and os x just bundles it into an icon)

ive got photoshop now and it is more than just an icon, same thing as ms office....do i need all the extra stuff?

pic
    [​IMG]

2. lostless macrumors 6502

Many programs use support folders to hold their user changeable data. Photoshop plugins can be installed, uninstalled, changed, ect. Same with actions. It allows easy access to those changeable files. Games are notorious for having support folders for all their data, mostly ones that can have mods installed. They just use the icon as a launch platform (the launch file is only a couple mega bytes) Recently though many programs are hiding their support folders in the library of the user in the "application support" folder. Adobe has not decided to do this as of yet

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes, if the program comes with it don't delete it.

4. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

To free up some hard drive space, use Xslimmer. It gets rid of all the extra languages and other programming for a different processor.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

For most things I make an alias then use Hide Folders, but this produces a start-up error (but no bad affects AFAIK) with Photoshop.

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

The "savings" you get from programs like these are negligible. Unless you're trying to run OS X on a 10 gb hard drive there is no reason to do this.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I've found it saves a few GBs. This is great for people with small HDs (especially high number of people since the release of the MBA).

8. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I have a macbook air and know someone else with one and am no where near needing one (and neither is he).

The savings argument only becomes significant if you have a significant amount of stuff installed. It is a bit like saying you save more by buying the tub of mayonnaise at costco. The logic really doesn't fallow through for most situations (especially if you're using a macbook air as you're not going to be installing a lot of stuff on it due to the limitations of the machine).