Why are some websites coming up as the .com/mobi only?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iaddict, Dec 13, 2010.

1. iaddict macrumors 6502

I was accessing a couple of websites yesterday that I have been to numerous times but now I cannot get the full page version only the .mobi version comes up which is horrible. I've gone into safari settings and can't see anything that would make this happen. I've been to these websites before and always gotten the full page. Is there something that I can do to change this and keep it from happening?

2. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Yeah, it bothers me too. I even click on "go to the full version" of my local newspaper site and it still reverts to the m version. I am going to have to write or call them and request that something be put in their code in regards to ipads.

Mike

3. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

Also another annoying thing.....

Since I updated my iPad to OS4.2.1 if I hit the back arrow on some webpages it doesn't go back to the previous page I end up with a blank page. If I hit the back arrow again then it goes back three pages and I have to hit the forward arrow to get to the page that was just one back from the current page. Has anyone else had this issue and been able to resolve it?

4. seajay96 macrumors 6502

it's not on the iPad that this is being done (well, not really). It's on the hosting server. It can see that you are a mobile user (F.U. Mark Zuckerberg) and it serves up the mobile version. You can get around this, but not in Safari. If you use something like Atomic web browser, you can go in and change the type of browser it represents itself as. If you use one of the desktop browsers, you'll always navigate to the full websites.

5. nwxtl88 macrumors member

Web sites are making a big mistake forcing users onto their crippled mobile versions. Unless I really need to view the site, when I realize that I'm viewing the crippled, whimpy mobile sites, I leave and don't return.

But I did discover a work around if the other methods given in this thread can't be used: quite often it is only the main/home page of the website that detects the mobile device. If you have the url of other pages, quite often if you go to them directly, you will get the regular/full page.

6. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

There are some sites that still show the mobile version, even though I have Atomic browser set to be seen as a desktop version. I forget which ones off the top of my head, but there were a couple which were frustrating to view as I wanted the full version.

7. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess what I don't understand is....

I have a net book that is absolutely horrible for using on the net. However, it never triggers a "mobile" version, which might serve it better since it takes forever to load a page. The iPad is extremely capable of loading pages...only issue I've found are ones that have lots of flash content.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

I have yet to see a mobile version of any website while using Atomic set to Safari Desktop.

9. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

Since I have never heard of Atomic....

Can you tell me if it is as secure or less secure to use it than Safari alone?

10. Surely Guest

Surely

Atomic Web Browser is an app you can buy in the App Store. You wouldn't use Safari if you are using Atomic. It's like on a Mac/PC.... you can use Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer....... it's just a different browser.

It is just as secure as Safari...... more so actually, as it has more privacy options.

Ever since downloading Atomic months ago, I haven't touched Safari.

It only costs 99¢ for the full version, and there is a free lite version as well.

11. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! One more question...

I saw it was rated +17 for various "intense and frequent mature" subject matter. Are there pop ups that are a part of this app or what exactly is this referring to?

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Apple applies this label to any app that can load outside content from unrestricted locations. Since you can google "boobies" from this web browser then it gets the 17+ tag.

13. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

I thought I wasn't going to have control over pop up items.

14. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

I belive mobile sites are there so you dont need to load big heavy content web pages. If you are on a tight Data plan, then mobile sites are your friend. If you want to get passed this, buy an app such as atomic browser ( i think icab is another) and switch your browser