Why are some YouTube videos unavailable on the iPhone YouTube.app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by palmerc2, Jul 23, 2010.

1. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

One theory a friend of mine said it's because of videos that have those (super annoying) ads that pop up on the bottom of the vid after 10 seconds of playtime.

As if ads aren't bad enough, now they won't allow you to watch a vid on your iPhone....awesome!!!

Any other theories?

2. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I don't watch youtube videos that much but the one and only time I noticed this happening was on a video I had saved in my favorites (SNL skit) and worked great for weeks then all of the sudden one day it started saying it was unavailable.

When I went on my computer and tried to watch the same video from my favorites it said the video was removed due to copyright infringement.

3. vant macrumors 65816

4. MagnusF macrumors regular

You can choose if your video will play on mobile devices on youtube. Its not only iphones, it´s mobile phones alltogether

5. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

For some reasons, certain studios / video owners choose to restrict their videos so that they can only play when viewed on the computer. They can't be viewed on mobile devices or by using Youtube XL (which is made for viewing on TVs). One example that comes to mind is the The Lonely Island's video for I'm On A Boat (the album version). You can watch it on computer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU but you can't play that link on a phone. It won't even show up in the search on the Youtube app, Youtube XL, or the mobile version of Youtube for Safari browser. You can get it to show up on mobile or Youtube XL if you add it as a favorite on a computer, but the video still won't play.

6. palmerc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

palmerc2

That is so interesting....I have uploaded a few different vids on YouTube and not once have I gotten the option to not let my video be viewed on a mobile device.

Are you positive it doesn't have something to do with those damn ad's that always show up??

7. The Phazer macrumors 68030

You certainly do get that option. There are lots of rights issues as to why you might sometimes.

Phazer