Why are Speck Candyshells so rarely mentioned here?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iPhone7ate9, Sep 25, 2014.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

This baffles me. These cases are freaking great at protecting from drops, and super slim and smooth.

2. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

a lot of people might have been put off by their recurring rubber/flaking issue...

and lets be honest, the case needs an update as well, aesthetically...

3. newtoiphone555 macrumors newbie

Tell you the truth it was my favorite for iPhone 4S , 5S and now I would reconsider it for some reason .

It just seems that this company made few $M and now took a step back and just making easy money on their OLD models till the buzz will be totaly over and they will close their doors ... that's only my opinion

4. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

I had one for my 4S and it kept flaking after pulling it out of my pocket.

So I told Speck about it, they shipped a replacement instantly but even that kept flaking. So I don't bother with them anymore.

I am so surprised their R&D hasn't come up with a better solution to the problem.

5. newtoiphone555 macrumors newbie

Me too .. and disappointed

6. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

It's a very old school looking case. Reminds me of my 3GS days. They also scratch like hell. Good in its day but needlessly bulky and so many better cases exist now.

7. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

Had a speck Candyshell for my iP5 and after a few months, it completely fell apart. The plastic infused in the case cracked and the rubber flaked off like a worn pencil eraser tip. Definately will not recommend. Plus there are 1000% more superior cases out there for a 1/5 of what Speck charges for them.

8. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

That's weird--I had Candyshells for my 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, and 5S and they never flaked. I'm waiting to see if they have cuter colors that come out for the 6 Plus eventually, but I'm planning on buying at least one once they do.

9. davistld01 macrumors 6502a

davistld01

Agreed on both points.

I truly loved the Speck Candyshell case I had on my iPhone 5 for a little while. It was the one with the rubberized coating on it...that they don't offer any longer...probably because the coating flaked off from almost day-one.

And...the darker colored Candyshell model attract scratches like a magnet, and they tend to look old before they even have the "new" worn off.

10. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I had a candy shell on my iPad 1 since launch, took it off when I traded it in to target last November. It never flaked, never anything - it wad still awesome what, 4 years and hours of daily use later.

So I bought one for my iPhone 4 in December when my daughter wanted my case. There is no rubber left on it at all. It is horrid and useless at this point. I'm actually happy to tread it isn't just me because I never read complaints before!

I posted pics the other day in another thread of it.....