Why are the Apple maps and GPS so bad?

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I read a lot on here how terrible the maps are, well yesterday was my first time using the built in GPS and it worked flawlessly. It got me where I wanted, rerouted me, let me know where to turn ahead of time, no hiccups at all. The UI even looks beautiful.

What is the big knock on it?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I read a lot on here how terrible the maps are, well yesterday was my first time using the built in GPS and it worked flawlessly. It got me where I wanted, rerouted me, let me know where to turn ahead of time, no hiccups at all. The UI even looks beautiful.

You might consider putting your title in quotation marks to clear up that it's not the point of the thread.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
The GPS is fine. The Maps themselves are okay, but depending on where you live, inaccurate or incomplete. There are some locations where a road just ends, or dips off into oblivion. Or a bridge that goes into a building...

It will sort itself out over time. I think Apple was a tad premature releasing it personally. They should have stated they were working on their own map service, but continued on the same path for a bit longer. Then release something more polished [overall] in a 6.x release, or 7. IMO.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

You have had one single experience with maps. How do you not understand what people are complaining about. Just b.c it worked for you doesn't mean it is good. What if it failed tomorrow? would you get the "big knock" then?

My personal experience has been the exact opposite. I agree the look is clean and the interface looks beautiful, but Apple maps got the address of one of their own apple stores wrong for me. How is that even possible! I do not trust their directions past a certain point.

flipn0tic

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
It has been functional for me the handful of times I needed it, which surprised me considering some of the residential places I entered. That being said, I'm still not big on the interface. I miss the more user-intuitive search on Google Maps as well as the ability to preemptively advance to the next turns. Hopefully these things can be improved.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
First off, I assumed the poster had a bad experience and wanted to know why it was so bad.

Anyway... here is something interesting. If you do the sat view while in "FindMyIphone", those maps are from Google. Thought that was pretty funny.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
I find Apple Maps and GPS perfectly functional. I do think that the satellite imagery is terrible and the lack of streetview bad.

But then there are alternatives to get both the sat imagery and streetview on my phone so don't really think its worth a complaint.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
There are hardly any points of interest on the map. What's the point of having a map if you can't search for a nearby business?

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I was standing in New York City searching for an address on Spring Street and Apple's maps kept finding Spring Street in an entirely different borough. It was my first time using it after having updated to the latest OS the night before.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
The real question is WHO CARES?! There are countless replacements in the app store, such as Waze or MapQuest. People need to just replace the official app with those and shut up already.

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
There are hardly any points of interest on the map. What's the point of having a map if you can't search for a nearby business?
Hmmm...dunno, maybe people used maps for centuries to find their way from A to B and the only points of interest were cities, maybe streets.

I would never search for points of interest in a certain area, I always do a google search for stuff that fits best what I am looking for, not what may coincidentially be near the position where I am.

When I am at a position I look around or ask. Maybe I use Maps to look for a gas station, but never for a restaurant, shop or movie theatre.

But from what I read here most people are travelimg salesman that are in a new city every day.

norwegian wood

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I don't know why apple bothers with their own maps app. How they thought they could catch up fast enough to release their own maps app is beyond me. They should of waited with this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.