why are the iphones on ebay....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by li2eggie, Aug 4, 2008.

1. li2eggie macrumors newbie

li2eggie

i just got my new iphone yesterday..16gb white...i'm just curious on why they are going for 800 on ebay? and should i sell mine and just get another one from the apple store..:confused:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why? Because you can't GET them anywhere! It's the Wii of phones.

3. li2eggie thread starter macrumors newbie

li2eggie

thats crazy i live in chicago and went to the apple store at around 3pm in downtown and they had a lot...hmmmm i think im going to put mine up on ebay

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Its not cost effective. You already paid $299 plus tax at least, then to replace it would be $499 plus tax. That's $798 plus tax right there, so what does selling it prove?

5. li2eggie thread starter macrumors newbie

li2eggie

wait why would replacing it be 499?

6. sUGArDawg macrumors regular

sUGArDawg

b/c people are stupid

7. paetrick macrumors regular

Because AT&T and apple don't want you to sell your phone to people outside us. With every 199$ phone they get 2y contract... with "pay as you go" the iphone costs up to 800$ in Europe.

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Because you bought a subsidized iPhone. If you sell that one, you will not be eligible for the subsidized price on the next one and will pay full price.
    Also full price for a 16GB 3G iPhone is more than $499 unless I'm mistaken.

The ones being sold on Ebay are being sold without a contract. hence why they are expensive. They are unsubsidized.

9. li2eggie thread starter macrumors newbie

li2eggie

thanks i'll look into it before i post mine up on ebay thanks for the warning

10. tasset macrumors 6502a

It proves that someone is willing to pay for their phone AND yours. Basically your iphone becomes free and all you have to pay for is the service contract (albeit high).
    Whether your time at the Apple Store and risk of ebay problems is worth it, that's a separate and probably more relevant issue.

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

$499 plus tax is the minimum you would pay to replace it, as that is the "early upgrade" price, which you *might* be eligible for. Worse case scenario is you have to pay the "no commitment" price, which is $699 I think. Either way, the numbers just don't add up.

@ tasset, you would be taking a risk since you don't know how much you are going to pay to replace it (early upgrade or no commitment) so, after taxes, paypal fees, etc, you are right back where you started. Not worth it if you ask me...

12. tasset macrumors 6502a

Oh I agree. I definitely wouldn't go through the trouble for what MIGHT net you $50 to $100 after Ebay/Paypal fees and what not.
    Now, your other point about what it would cost me to replace my iphone... I was under the impression that if I lost or broke it then it would cost $399 for an 8gb or $499 for the 16gb (since I would be upgrade ineligible). That's what everyone I have talked to has told me. If you're telling me I will have to pay the full $500 nonsubsidized price then I better go get some insurance quickly!

13. li2eggie thread starter macrumors newbie

li2eggie

yeah thats the same thing i was just thinking

but yeah thanks guys for talking some sense into me...i was actually about to put it on ebay thinking i can just walking in the apple store and get another one for the same price ...you guys saved me a lot of stress and trouble

14. aneftp macrumors 68040

No the full price (full unsubsidized price) is really $599/$699 for the iphone without contract. ATT/Apple will check if you already used your upgrade to purchased an iphone 3g. You just can't say you lost the iphone 3g and buy it again for the "early upgrade" price of $399/499. ATT/Apple is only allowing the iphone 3g for the early upgrade price of 399/499 to people who say brought a subsidize phone (like a curve/motorola q/tilt etc) recently. If they saw that you purchased a $199/$299 iphone 3g, they will not let you purchased another one at the early upgrade price.

15. Twenty5 macrumors regular

iPhones im Hong kong are in the range of 700-800 US Dollars (if you get them without a contract through a reseller (not official seller). They are expensive because they are unlocked by default, so yea...

UNLOCKED iPHONES from HK.

16. aneftp macrumors 68040

I know it's crazy. I sold a white iphone 16GB 2 weeks ago for $700 cash on craigslist. That same guy called me again and asked if I were willing to sell him another one for $700. I have a spare iphone 3g but plan on keeping it. I kinda of feel bad for people paying these prices. I do think anything more than $700 is raping people. The full unsubsidize price is $699 for the 16GB model without a contract.

It's all about supply and demand. Right now, there is more demand than supply. Some people do not want to be in a contract. Some people do not want to pay the $30 iphone data plan. Some people are in a pay as you go plan and since the iPhone 3g accepts any ATT sim, you can get what is essentially a $20 data only plan if you have an ATT Go Phone plan.

A lot of people do not realize the $20 a month for unlimited 3g mobile internet on the iphone 3g on the ATT Go Phones is actually a great deal (as long as you do not want to use any voice minutes)....plus you can tether.

17. SFgadgetman macrumors member

$20 a month for unlimited 3g mobile

[/QUOTE]Some people do not want to pay the $30 iphone data plan. Some people are in a pay as you go plan and since the iPhone 3g accepts any ATT sim, you can get what is essentially a $20 data only plan if you have an ATT Go Phone plan.

A lot of people do not realize the $20 a month for unlimited 3g mobile internet on the iphone 3g on the ATT Go Phones is actually a great deal (as long as you do not want to use any voice minutes)....plus you can tether.[/QUOTE]

Can you explain how one would accomplish this?:D

18. snake101st macrumors regular

Cant you pay the early termination fee ($175?) and then open a new contract and buy a new iphone for $200/300 after selling?

19. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Ive read on this forum that a member had their phone stolen and purchased a new one at the early upgrade price. The higher price is for those without a contract.