Why are the mac monitors so expencive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AnimaLeo, Sep 2, 2009.

1. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

You can get a 24 inch monitor for like 1/3 the price, they can't be THAT much better. What am I missing here?

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

A cheap $300 24" monitor will offer a TN panel, this pales in comparison to the 24" Cinema Display's H-IPS panel. The cheapest comparable monitor to the 24" Cinema Display would probably be a Dell Ultrasharp in the $500 range, which while still considerably cheaper, lacks other benefits like being LED, and would also offer an S-IPS panel rather than H-IPS (not much difference, but still). You also get the beautiful aesthetics, built in iSight + Mic, and speakers.

3. danchurchill123 macrumors newbie

It's LED backlit, not an LED display. bigggggg difference. Unless you were just cutting corners in your typing ;) lol.
    It is expensive and you can get another monitor of the same size for $700 AUD less which is alot of money. but it is better.

PS: you are also paying to have an apple product, you know, because they're so prestigious like a luxury car ;)

4. btownguy macrumors 6502

you can get the 24" Apple Cinema Display for $599 refurb now from the Apple Store. The quality of the refurb units is typically flawless. The display is simply beautiful.

5. foodle macrumors 6502

I've been looking into this recently, and as the other posters have mentioned, you can't compare the H-IPS panel of the LED ACD with cheap TN displays that go for $200.

The LED ACD with have:
    - better color rendition
    - better color consistency
    - better viewing angles
    - brighter

The only advantage of the TN displays is lower lag. So if your only application is gaming and you need to cut those precious 10ms out of the response time, go for TN. Otherwise a nice PVA (most Dells) or IPS (Apple, high-end NEC, etc) will be much better.

BTW, I got an LED ACD refurb, and it's fantastic (IMHO better than the top end NEC, as long as you don't mind the glossy screen).

6. Maccleduff macrumors regular

Get the e-IPS screen Dell 2209WA, really good image quality and viewing angles for cheap, as long as you dont mind 1650x1080 resolution.

7. MacMonster1985 macrumors member

How can you advise anyone to buy a Dell. Stay away from Dell.

8. foodle macrumors 6502

Actually that display is good quality and cheap, as long as you can live with 22" and 1650x1080.

9. Maccleduff macrumors regular

Please don't make sweeping comments like that unless you have something to back it up with.

Dell make good monitors, which are cheaper than Apple displays. Therefore I bought the Dell monitor 2209WA and I'm very happy with it.

10. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Agreed, for the money can't be beat. I sure wish MR allowed your to "rep" people - maybe someday.

PS: I think the resolution is 1680 x 1050 ;)

11. the vj macrumors 6502a

Well, cheaper monitors are not a good reference neither but there are monitors that has better resolution and features and are cheaper than Apple.

With video editing, apple monitors used to offer unrealistic blacks, and a friend of mine has a monitor (not remember the brand) that has way better texture than apple's.

Apple monitors are average or above average and good looking and expensive.

12. illibball087 macrumors regular

i just got my 2209wa in the mail today, awesome monitor for the price its unbeatable

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Certain Dell products are very good.

I have a 30" Dell 3008WFP monitor and its better in every way compared to my Apple 30" Cinema.