Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Y-O-Y-Not

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
Central, VA
Hi, new guy and new Mac owner of a year or so. I got a 15 inch Retina MBP, ipad pro 12 128 gb and just purchased a new ipad 32gb for a family member.

Ive searched on ebay and such for an older ipad air or air 2 with 128 gb of ram, but it seems short of buying one refurbished from the apple website its really more economic to get the new ipad with 128 gb.

Am I missing something or is the lamination of the screen worth that much?

Maybe I need to give it a few months for the prices to come down?

Thx.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
iPads, along with many Apple products, hold their value rather well you'll find. This is both due to perceived value, actual longevity, and a higher MSRP.

The Air 2 not only was just discontinued but is still among the fastest and most functional tablet devices you could own right now. I'm sure a few here can chime in on just how well that thing is holding up in 2017 still.

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
iPads, along with many Apple products, hold their value rather well you'll find. This is both due to perceived value, actual longevity, and a higher MSRP.

The Air 2 not only was just discontinued but is still among the fastest and most functional tablet devices you could own right now. I'm sure a few here can chime in on just how well that thing is holding up in 2017 still.
Absolutely this

I have an Air 2 and feel no need to upgrade to the newer model. I think that there are many users sharing my feelings on this. Just means there are less used Air 2s on the market that would usually drive down the price. Supply v Demand

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
Hi, new guy and new Mac owner of a year or so. I got a 15 inch Retina MBP, ipad pro 12 128 gb and just purchased a new ipad 32gb for a family member.

Ive searched on ebay and such for an older ipad air or air 2 with 128 gb of ram, but it seems short of buying one refurbished from the apple website its really more economic to get the new ipad with 128 gb.

Am I missing something or is the lamination of the screen worth that much?

Maybe I need to give it a few months for the prices to come down?

Thx.

I don't know but in my experience every time I want to buy an iPad used they are $50 more than I would like to pay and when I try to sell a used one I end up having to sell it for $50 less than I wanted to.

Reactions: rowspaxe

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
The Air 2 is a particularly good model. Unless you desperately want Pencil support, I would say that even the 9.7" Pro isn't much of an improvement over it, and the new iPad is definitely more of a "sidegrade" than an upgrade, if you know what I mean. Approaching 3 years old and it's still one of the best tablets you can buy.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Absolutely this

I have an Air 2 and feel no need to upgrade to the newer model. I think that there are many users sharing my feelings on this. Just means there are less used Air 2s on the market that would usually drive down the price. Supply v Demand

Aside from the Air 2 being still very functional in performance, One of the only real reasons somebody would upgrade to the iPad Pro would be for the pencil support (Aside from the speakers, smart connector, processor, etc). Otherwise, the Air 2 is still a very viable unit with some competitive pricing for what someone is still receiving.

gimmmick

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2015
Bought my iPad air 2 on day of launch and it's been stellar after 2.5 years. Don't plan on upgrading any time soon. It's the next iPad 2 imo (the one apple product that was good enough for everyone to use).

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The Air 2 is a particularly good model. Unless you desperately want Pencil support, I would say that even the 9.7" Pro isn't much of an improvement over it, and the new iPad is definitely more of a "sidegrade" than an upgrade, if you know what I mean. Approaching 3 years old and it's still one of the best tablets you can buy.

As one who upgraded to the Pro 9.7" from the Air 2 I totally agree. I wanted the pencil but then learned the hard way that not too many devs really support it. Plus its awkward to charge and no good place to store it. Pencil is now in a drawer somewhere. Kinda wish I had my Air 2 back -- and the $300 extra I spent.

iPads tend to drop sharply in value when the new model comes out but then stabilize and don't drop much after that. And the more expensive the model the more of a % off original retail the drop.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Bought my iPad air 2 on day of launch and it's been stellar after 2.5 years. Don't plan on upgrading any time soon. It's the next iPad 2 imo (the one apple product that was good enough for everyone to use).
It's better than the iPad 2. Apple may have supported the iPad 2 for a long time but realistically, it became a pain to use starting with iOS 8.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015

Other than battery life my Air 2 was still real good. Occasionally laggy but overall held up great after 2.5 years. Mine was a 16gb one so a 32gb iPad 2017 was a nice upgrade for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.