Why are there banner ads / advertisements on my Wallpaper?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by prplhaze, May 4, 2011.

1. prplhaze macrumors newbie

Last time I jailbrok was my 3G, Now I have an i4 with 4.3.2 and when they went untethered recently I jailbroke.

I havent used many themes long enough to be sure, so this might just be the theme I'm using. However with the Aquarium theme, and I suspect many others, every day I get several banner ads that pop up in the background, behind the icons.

What the heck is the deal with that? I don't need what should be a static background image pulling web content to serve me up ads.

Is this a thing the developer of the theme controls, is it a consequence of having the jailbreak, or something else?

More importantly how do I turn it off.

I searched the forum but could not find a thread that covered this.

2. Mvbalaj macrumors newbie

i get the same thing to. it usually happens when i play the app words with friends. If the app runs ads and you go to the home screen sometimes you get the ad below the status bar, sometimes you don't. if you close the app then the ad will go away. (double tap home button and hold down the app till the minus sign comes up to close it)

hope that helps

3. prplhaze thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Mvbalaj,

You're totally right! I did not even notice the correlation between WWF and the ads. It happens almost every time. I guess now that Zynga owns them they're spamming our backgrounds, as if the longer ads in the 'free' game weren't enough.

At least I know what it is now, and can kill it with SBSettings.

4. Mvbalaj macrumors newbie

no problem glad to help...

whats the app you used to hide the ads because i got iAdkiller and that doesnt seem to help =/

5. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Yep. When I'm running a Winterboard theme, I'll get banner adds at the top, behind the icons, on my springboard after closing certain apps.

I can reproduce 100% of the time with an app called 'Speedometer FREE' from the Apple app store. Quick respring cures it.

iP4, 4.3.2, redsn0w.

6. prplhaze thread starter macrumors newbie

I simply use the process killer in SBSettings to kill the offending app, which takes away it's banner ad also. Is this whole wallpaper ads thing part of the iAds discussion? 'keep apps free' and all that?

Ironically this may motivate me to purhase wwf.

7. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

I'm getting the same thing. Whenever I open an app, I see a quick banner flash at the top of the screen as its zooming in to open it. When I look in processes with SBSettings, I see something called AdSheet. Is that from jailbreaking or something from the Apple iAds crap? When I end that process it stops the ads from showing up at the top but then it opens again whenever I open something with adds.

8. brokin macrumors member

same issue here. any app that has an iAd in it stays up when i close the program. i can respring or just wait it out until it goes away. luckily only one app i use regularly has ads. its pretty annoying and i thought it was just me.

9. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Adsheet runs all the iAds on the phone.

I think the WWF and the ads showing up on the main springboard is a bug somewhere between Winterboard and iAds. I know I've seen it a few times before depending on the themes I have turned on.

10. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I just removed AdSheet from my iP4 via SSH and ended this annoyance once and for all. No ill effects whatsoever. I was getting the same result when I ran Accuweather, another app that runs iAds. Not any more!!

11. prplhaze thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, if you could please describe the names and where the file(s) you removed I would like to do the same thing, as would we all I think.

Also, are you running 4.3.2 ?

12. prplhaze thread starter macrumors newbie

Resolution

Im sure there's probably other threads dealing with this, but a simple SSH into Applications (aka Applications.pwn) and a removal of the AdSheet.app folder solved the problem of desktop banner ads for me (for now).

Good luck