Why are there dupicate Drives [Img]

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kitki83, Feb 22, 2009.

1. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

I was backing up my dvds to Atv and got this window showing. I am wondering why some drives are duplicates and is it a concern?

[​IMG]

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Those aren't drives - they're folders. Notice the icon.

This can sometime happen if you're using an application that's accessed a file on a mounted volume, and you eject the volume. OS X should object, but sometimes it doesn't. Since the application is expecting a file somewhere in /Volumes/External Disk/... it may create a folder under Volumes with the same name as the original mounted volume. Next time you mount the volume, it'll find that e.g. in your case, RENE MARTIN is present, so it'll mount as RENE MARTIN 1.

Generally, it's safe enough to delete them, although if the offending app is still running, it may recreate the folder.

3. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats is what I am trying to figure out how can I delete these folders if I don't know where to navigate to. I cannot find where these are contained [Volumes].

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

But ... I'm confused. You did navigate to them if you're able to get the screen shot you posted. They are under /Volumes. Just drag them to Trash.

5. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No that pop out came from Handbrake when I was choosing my DVD drive. I tried seeing how I can get there through finder but no luck.

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Sorry for the late reply - go to your Macintosh HD in the sidebar. Volumes should be listed.

7. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

9. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

then from there? Sorry I am a noob to this situation.

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Sorry, my mistake. For some reason my Mac has Volumes showing up under Macintosh HD ... not sure what I did to enable that. I may have changed the flags on it sometime (edit: yes, typing "sudo chflags nohidden /Volumes" as a superuser in Terminal makes /Volumes visible.)

I checked on another Mac and it doesn't show Volumes.

But you can go it from a Finder window - click on Finder, type shift-command-G (or Menu -> Go -> Go to Folder) and enter /Volumes - it's important to enter /.

11. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a