Why are there like no thunderbolt 3 splitters I can find?

iemcj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2015
I'm on an Imac and I'm tired of having to constantly swap out all my external drives that use t3. I have a 40 dollar adapter for regular USB that I can have 8 different devices plugged into it but I cannot for the life of me find anything online that does that with thunderbolt 3 devices.

Am I missing a way to search for them on amazon or something? All I need is a basic 1 male to 2 (or hopefully more) female ends.

Last edited:

Stephen.R

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
There's no such thing as a Thunderbolt "hub" - it doesn't work that way.

Instead, most thunderbolt devices should have two ports, to allow "daisy chaining" (i.e. connected in series to each other, rather than in parallel to a "hub" like with USB).

iemcj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2015
There's no such thing as a Thunderbolt "hub" - it doesn't work that way.

Instead, most thunderbolt devices should have two ports, to allow "daisy chaining" (i.e. connected in series to each other, rather than in parallel to a "hub" like with USB).
>doesn't work like that

Really? That's a huge bummer, I've been doing USB hubs for over a decade. How could it be that a new technology would take such a huge step backwards? Everything from usb to HDMI cables have hubs and splitters available.

And I have several external SSD and HDD drives that use t3 and none of them have an external port like that.

AppleSmack

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010

Stephen.R

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I've been doing USB hubs for over a decade. How could it be that a new technology would take such a huge step backwards? Everything from usb to HDMI cables have hubs and splitters available.
Pretty much all technologies have trade-offs to make.

USB uses a "hub" concept, Thunderbolt uses the "daisy chain" concept that Firewire and SCSI used.

Out of interest, what TB3 drives do you have, that don't have downstream TB3 ports on them? It's only usually portable devices or very high bandwidth devices (like eGPU cases) that don't provide the chaining port.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
>doesn't work like that

Really? That's a huge bummer, I've been doing USB hubs for over a decade. How could it be that a new technology would take such a huge step backwards? Everything from usb to HDMI cables have hubs and splitters available.

And I have several external SSD and HDD drives that use t3 and none of them have an external port like that.
Thunderbolt ≠ USB

No version of Thunderbolt supports a hub topography. Thunderbolt is more like PCI bus; not really like USB. The confusing factor is that Thunderbolt 3 uses the same connector (but not cables) as USB-C.

Thunderbolt 1 and 2 used the same connector (but, again, not cables) as mini-DisplayPort, FYI.

There are, however, USB-C docks which have multiple USB-C ports on them, by the way.

Are your drives truly Thunderbolt 3 or are they USB-C??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.