Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I've composed a 'press release' in mail with a couple of photos and some text all in a nice big box.

But when I send it to myself (and others) it has some weird things: spaces in the middle of some words, random exclamation marks and at one point "&n! bsp;"

Any ideas why this is? And how I can send a lovely formatted email that everyone will see as it should be?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Any ideas why this is?

It's almost certainly something to do with going from a "WYSIWYG" sort of thing (like Mail Stationary) to basically anything else. Things get lost in translation. "&n! bsp" is probably "&nbsp" which is how a standard non-breaking space is marked up. It's pretty sad that even when viewed in Mail it doesn't show up properly, though.

And how I can send a lovely formatted email that everyone will see as it should be?

The short answer is you can't. If you want "universal" compatibility just use plain text, or make a webpage and send people the link.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
They'll edit HD video, they'll connect to the web, they'll store millions of music tracks, they'll edit high quality photos.... but they won't exchange formatted emails. Wow. Computers still have such a long way to go!

Thanks. At least I now know.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Don't blame the computer, blame the developers of various email applications.

When it comes to web browsing, everyone is all about standards compliance.

When it comes to HTML email readers... not so much.

XxEjGxX

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
its how they all read and format html slightly differently... best thing to do, is make like a blogspot blog and make it private
signature_BasicSmile.jpg
then email your friends the link

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Plain text for content. PDF for looks. Though I suppose even PDFs can look slightly different depending on the viewer.

If its a press release, stick with plain text so that the media outlet can cut and paste your words into something they will pretend to have a written, but at least your event is getting mentioned.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
If you're interested in a more precise reason, what you're seeing is almost certainly a side-effect of poor handling of a quirk of the standard email format:

There are two limits that this standard places on the number of characters in a line. Each line of characters MUST be no more than 998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding the CRLF.

The problem is that many programs that send email in HTML format--which, based on the chopped-in-half   yours does--just toss in those breaks wherever they occur. (Keep in mind that a line break, when part of an HTML document, just looks like a space when displayed.)

I get one HTML email newsletter that will periodically have words with weird space in the middle due to this issue. In your case, your editor is using an   entity to insert a non-breaking space, but that fell across the 998 character max-line-length and got cut in half, so that you just saw two pieces of the raw code. I forget why, technically, the ! becomes visible, but it's a side-effect of the same problem (again, I've seen it produced by form-to-email scripts every 998 characters).

Solution-wise, the question is already answered: If it's a press release, either format it as plain text, or attach a PDF if you're married to your layout and/or want to include graphics.

[Addition: An alternate solution is apparently switching the message encoding to base-64, if that's an option in whatever mailer you're using. It will, apparently, encode the message such that the line length limitation is not a problem, so long as the mailer and receiver both support it.]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.