Why are there so many refurb iPhones??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El Magnificante, May 22, 2008.

1. El Magnificante macrumors member

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Refurb phones can be phones returned, and mended, and put out as refurbished.
    Refurb can also mean old stock that they want to discount to get rid of - It happens a lot just before a product has an update. In this case, with 9th June so close, I imagine they're clearing any left stock inventory, and the last couple of broken iphones are being returned, mended and sent back out as refurb.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I hate using the "C Word" but here goes: Capitalism at its best. :cool:

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    IIRC, iPod returns for repair have been surveyed at over 13%.

iPhone returns are probably higher than that due to more complexity.

That works out to be about a million returns to become refurb units since last July.

5. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

If you are worried about buying a refurb, don't be. Between my husband buying open box items and me buy refurbs from outlet malls. I can tell you that there isn't anything wrong with them. They are fully reconditioned and run like new.
    My husband is hoping to find an open box Sony Bravia. Yeah like that one will happen. ;):D

6. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Check the Sony outlet stores. The store near me always has a large number of refurbished electronics including many television models.

7. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

Or you can check Sony's website under the refurb section for good deals on TV's.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...////UserSearch=Inventory+>+0+and+Price+Ss+>+0

8. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I think refurbs are actually BETTER than buying brand new ones (actually, most refurbs are fairly new anyway, and almost always in perfect condition) because they have been looked over by Apple Technitions so its less likley it will go wrong as anything that might mess it up will have been repaired!

9. El Magnificante thread starter macrumors member

I'm not in the market for a refurb iPhone as I'm waiting for the new one ... and I've purchased refurb iMac's and all was well.

I am just wondering why there were so many of them? Was there a particular problem with the design or a specific part?

10. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Check the first reply.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

On the second run of iPhones, like the first run of the iPod Touch, had bad screens... those have since been returned and repaired and sold as refurbs or used as warranty replacements.

12. El Magnificante thread starter macrumors member

2 votes for business stretegy then and not a hardware problem?

13. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

14. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

This hasn't been my experience.

Refurbished stuff from Apple (usually) always works but they are hardly ever in "perfect condition."
    • you should expect a few scratches
    • you should expect to *not* get the original packaging (even though Apple implies on their website that you will).
    • you should expect dead pixels
    • you should expect folded and stained manuals

If none of those possibilities bother you, then refurbished is for you. It's generally a good deal to buy refurbished, but assuming that the products are going to be "perfect," or worse, that they will be "better than perfect" ... is just setting yourself up for a big disappointment.

I think you are using a bit of classic "wishful thinking" here. A product checked twice is not necessarily twice as good. ;)

15. arklab macrumors member

My problem is FINDING a referb iPhone!

I've never seen one on Apples referb store - looks like AT&T online is the only one doing it (which is fine with me.).

But they only have a few at a time, and quickly sell out.

Has anyone notices any pattern of availability?

Usually on Wednesday?
    or
    Two weeks from the last release?
    or
    At what time of day?

Any help greatly appreciated! :)
    Thanks.

16. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

No pattern by what I can tell. Only pattern is they won't let you order more than one.

They had em 5/14, 5/21, and one time last year or earlier this year?

17. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

It's called making up for the "Free Shipping"...:eek:

18. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

if i were to buy buy an iphone off att's website would it be new or a refurb???

19. Mahler12x macrumors regular

Mahler12x

Everything you love you owe to Capitalism... http://mises.org/story/2982

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    It's far more likely that a third party sweat shop specializing in electronic refurbs "looked it over". Refurbs aren't magically better.

That said, I did buy a refurb 16GB iPod Touch off eBay for $250, and although it had very light scratches on the back (with a case, that doesn't matter), it had no dead pixels and has been a good deal. And the Apple warranty site showed it has another year warranty on it, much to my surprise.

21. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Wow, what refurbished stuff have you gotten? :eek: I've never experienced any of those, aside from the lack of original packaging.

22. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

New, except when you purchase one that clearly says "refurbished" and is a $150.00 cheaper.

23. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

Yeah I also have to ask what kind of refurbed stuff you are getting. When my 3G iPod died, they replaced with a refurb, it was in perfect condition and it's still working, much longer then my brand new one ever did.

And I bought a refurbed iPhone, it came in perfect condition no scratches dead pixels or anything. And the instructions are brand new as well. Granted it didn't come in an iPhone box, but what use do I have for that? I can't play music with a box.

You spout the kind of dribble that make people fear buying refurbed stuff.

24. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

OH, when my ipod photo wouldnt turn on i went into the store, they replaced it with a refurbished iphoto - could tell was refurbished by serial no. my ipod was only 4 days old and demanded a brand new ipod and was given one with box, complete with usb cable, headphones etc etc.

25. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

o ok good because someone told me that they stopped making the old one in prep for the release of the 3g, and they were only selling refurbs